|Re: TOLKIEN autograph COLLECTING|
Subject: Re: TOLKIEN autograph COLLECTING
by Urulókë on 2007/2/6 18:37:01
In my humble opinion, here's my thoughts on this auction.
- The seller has a pretty good reputation.
- The letter is quite likely real (hard to tell, not being able to see the paper itself to tell if it is 35 years old).
- As Parmastahir mentions, this was likely typed up by a secretary, especially given the late date (Tolkien wasn't up to doing all of these sorts of short notes himself in later years.)
- It is quite possible that the signature was done by a secretary as well (ghost signature) as the intended recipient would only care that the thought came from JRRT, not a collectible signature.
- All handwriting experts who happen by please sign up to be a resident expert.