Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Feb, 2017 (edited)
2017-2-27 1:30:45 PM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Trotter - are you saying the illustrator read the review before drawing the cartoon?

Thanks for the second reference to "beaks and feathers", there was something in the back of my mind but I couldn't find anything. That second mention seems like too close to the mark to be completely coincidence, in my mind. I don't feel like a book review in Newsweek would have such a large impact years later, though it is certainly possible. Perhaps there is something deeper going on that bears investigating further.

No, I was not suggesting that the illustrator read the review before drawing the cartoon, I think the illustrator read the book and used his imagination to draw the picture of what an Orc looked like.

Though I do think, that in 1958, the review and illustration from the 1954 Newsweek may have impacted the first film treatise of the book.

I also think that Zimmerman looked at whatever was available about the book when developing the first film treatise and this would have included US published reviews.
27 Feb, 2017
2017-2-27 6:15:15 PM UTC
Thanks Trotter. I am following up this idea further with a few investigative threads elsewhere to see what this new discovery might shake out. More to come, hopefully!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us