Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By bwat11
Just popping in

1987 fellowship of the ring "backwards upside down" cover

2 Apr, 2015 (edited)
2015-4-2 1:21:21 AM UTC

Hey guys, I have a box set and in it the first book, "the fellowship of the ring" the cover is on backwards meaning if your looking at the impression on the front of the cover and open it up you are at the very last page of the book and the text is upside down. I was just wondering if anyone else ever caught this error befor? And of that hurts or helps the value. I can post pics if you would like. Thanks!

I have added pics to show that all three books (once the dust jacket is removed) have the same symbol on the front (there is no marking on the backs at all). When you first open it up there is a blank page, then the next page is where the map is folded up into the book and then as you can see when you turn the page it takes you to the last page with the page number on the bottom right (upside down). Any ideas about other information about this error?

Trotter: Merged Posts

10_551cd884799a7.jpg 1024X768 px

10_551cd88d84a35.jpg 1024X768 px
2 Apr, 2015
2015-4-2 4:15:36 AM UTC

bwat11 wrote:
Hey guys, I have a box set and in it the first book, "the fellowship of the ring" the cover is on backwards meaning if your looking at the impression on the front of the cover and open it up you are at the very last page of the book and the text is upside down. I was just wondering if anyone else ever caught this error befor? And of that hurts or helps the value. I can post pics if you would like. Thanks!

Haven't seen this specific fault before. Generally faults like this make the book pretty much worthless, but there are the odd people who do like to collect them.
2 Apr, 2015
2015-4-2 4:22:37 AM UTC
Thanks Stu! I was thinking the same thing but just wasn't sure and I've looked
Everywhere for information with little to show for it. I accidently posted this twice
(Just joined so rather new yet) but on the other post I put up pictures but I'm sure
You caught on to what I was getting at. Either way, it's worthless or it has a lot of zeros in the value its staying on my shelf. My uncle just passed and willed it to me. It was oneof the main things we shared together, that being Tolkien's work mmostly. Thanks again tho!
2 Apr, 2015
2015-4-2 4:54:15 AM UTC

bwat11 wrote:
Thanks Stu! I was thinking the same thing but just wasn't sure and I've looked
Everywhere for information with little to show for it. I accidently posted this twice
(Just joined so rather new yet) but on the other post I put up pictures but I'm sure
You caught on to what I was getting at. Either way, it's worthless or it has a lot of zeros in the value its staying on my shelf. My uncle just passed and willed it to me. It was oneof the main things we shared together, that being Tolkien's work mmostly. Thanks again tho!

The key thing fault doesn't stop you enjoying the book, and especially as it was left to you by your uncle, it adds some extra character to it :)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us