6 hours 46 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Tolkien Studies vol. VI
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Having learned that "Tolkien Studies" vol. VI is now out-of-print, and further having a nephew that wants to go to robotics camp this summer, I've decided to list my spare copy of TS VI on eBay to cover the cost. So, if anyone here is looking for a copy, please bid here. Thanks!

Carl

Posted on: 2013/6/8 18:41

Re: Tolkien Studies vol. VI
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Aelfwine wrote:
Having learned that "Tolkien Studies" vol. VI is now out-of-print, and further having a nephew that wants to go to robotics camp this summer, I've decided to list my spare copy of TS VI on eBay to cover the cost. So, if anyone here is looking for a copy, please bid here. Thanks!

Carl

So your nephew gets turned into a robot for $75 - $200? Sounds like a good deal. If I had a nephew, I'd want him turned into a robot that could stock the fridge and fetch beer from it without complaining.

Good luck with the sale.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 22:42

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have to comment here...

What is the point in the leading academic journal for Tolkien scholarship letting volumes go out of print? Not only are academic publications reasonably expensive to begin with, but on the second-hand market they are even more expensive. I know this is a book collecting forum (& not everyone here may feel this way) but would the authors, who have had their work printed between the boards of TStudies, not be better served by having the volumes in print?

Yes, they are available digitally; but if the physical books are not to be reprinted (their destiny now is only to become collector's items, apparently), then what is the point in making them physically available in the first place? Why not just fully digital? WVUP currently have volumes I to VI out of print. On the WVUP website volume I isn't available at all! What the hell is this all about? (You can't even view the content.) So everything in volume I is literally unavailable to anyone other than those with $200+ to burn. Not really very good.

BH

Posted on: 2013/6/9 5:15

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Actually, he can already do those things, but unfortunately he lives 40 miles away, so I still have to go to the fridge myself most of the time, alas.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 6:17

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
No arguments here, I was very surprised to learn that WVU is letting these go out of print, as I expect were/are the editors.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 6:19

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]