Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Jul, 2013
2013-7-6 12:53:22 PM UTC
Yeh, what pocket H are we talking about? Surely this is referring to the one (2011) we already have?; unless it's referring to the facsimile edition. It would seem unlikely we're getting another one.

BH
6 Jul, 2013
2013-7-6 11:28:44 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Yeh, what pocket H are we talking about? Surely this is referring to the one (2011) we already have?; unless it's referring to the facsimile edition. It would seem unlikely we're getting another one.

BH

Unless it is a pocket format version of the new illustrated version?
7 Jul, 2013
2013-7-7 7:04:45 AM UTC
I suspect it is the same Pocket book as last year, but with a film cover on it. If so I doubt it will be on Stu's Xmas list.
7 Jul, 2013
2013-7-7 7:14:47 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
I suspect it is the same Pocket book as last year, but with a film cover on it. If so I doubt it will be on Stu's Xmas list.

Bah!!! Humbug!!! etc.
8 Jul, 2013
2013-7-8 12:09:15 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Actually, it would be kind of cool if it was a mini version of the grey 'Special Collectors Edition' cover. It won't be, but as film tie in covers go, that wouldn't be offensive.
8 Jul, 2013
2013-7-8 7:21:54 PM UTC
BLACKWELL'S :

Unfinished Tales (Deluxe Slipcase Edition)
ISBN: 9780007542925
Edition: De Luxe edition
ISBN 0007542925 Pages 464
ISBN13 9780007542925
(What's this?) Weight (grammes) 272
Publisher HarperCollins Publishers Published in London
Imprint HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Format Hardback Width (mm) 149 Height (mm) 228
Publication date 05 Dec 2013

Deluxe collector's edition featuring the definitive edition text and containing a full-colour reproduction of Tolkien's painting of the dragon, Glaurung. The book is quarterbound and stamped on the front board with a gold motif previously seen only on the first edition hardback and is presented in a matching slipcase. Unfinished Tales is a collection of narratives ranging in time from the Elder Days of Middle-earth to the end of the War of the Ring, and provides those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with a whole collection of background and new stories from the twentieth century's most acclaimed popular author. The book concentrates on the realm of Middle-earth and comprises such elements as The Quest of Erebor, Gandalf's lively account of how it was that he came to send the Dwarves to the celebrated party at Bag-End; the emergence of the sea-god Ulmo before the eyes of Tuor on the coast of Beleriand; and an exact description of the military organization of the Riders of Rohan. Unfinished Tales also contains the only story about the long ages of Numenor before its downfall, and all that is known about such matters as the Five Wizards, the Palantiri and the legend of Amroth. The tales were edited by Christopher Tolkien, who provides a short commentary on each story, helping the reader to fill in the gaps and put each story into the context of the rest of his father's writings. This deluxe collector's edition includes a full-colour facsimile of Tolkien's painting, 'Glorund sets forth to seek Turin', which illustrates his narrative 'The Children of Hurin' a fold-our reproduction of the definitive map of Middle-earth drawn by Christohper Tolkien. The book is foil stamped with a Numenorean horn that appeared on the first edition hardback and is housed in a matching slipcase.
8 Jul, 2013
2013-7-8 8:17:56 PM UTC
It is a shame that HarperCollins don't know the difference between a Númenorean horn and a Númenorean helmet!
8 Jul, 2013 (edited)
2013-7-8 8:25:51 PM UTC
FANGORN, I take it you realise this has already been mentioned a few pages (pg. 31) back?

BH
9 Jul, 2013 (edited)
2013-7-9 6:32:45 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:
It is a shame that HarperCollins don't know the difference between a Númenorean horn and a Númenorean helmet!

It looks like a Horn to me

How would this fit on your head, a helmet's purpose is to provide protection, this seems to fail on every level???
9 Jul, 2013
2013-7-9 11:18:20 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Deagol wrote:

It looks like a Horn to me

How would this fit on your head, a helmet's purpose is to provide protection, this seems to fail on every level???

Hence the fall of Númenor.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us