« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Allan Formhals Fakes and Forgeries
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Sadly, all I can do is delay this fake item being bought on ebay by someone who thinks they have got a bargain and a genuine signed Lord of the Rings

ebay prevent me from stopping the sale, so sadly someone is going to buy this crap and think it is real

Posted on: 2013/8/7 12:36

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
You see, you touch on the main issue here: eBay. The problem really is eBay's failure to act on items that are reported. You also have very little space to explain why you're reporting something. I mean, quite a few of us must report quite a lot of stuff --& it's all books & Tolkien. It's actually a bit of a surprise no one has been contacted. I find all this more annoying than the sellers trying (in full knowledge or not) to sell these items, as frustrating as this (also) is. eBay really need to address this, themselves.

BH

Posted on: 2013/8/7 12:48

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
It is all economics: eBay makes money when fake items sell, unless they have been sued by a large enough brand or designer or the like to make it more economical to enforce removing fakes for those particular brands.

Look at it from their perspective - they have no idea who Trotter is, nor do they know who the seller is. They certainly don't have the expertise in house to spot a fake Tolkien signature. So, they do nothing.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 13:29

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Yes, I know what you're saying --but there are two responses to this. One, where is the ethics here? I have a real problem with any corporate entity that wilfully ignores possible law breaking right under its nose --particularly where they stand to benefit financially from such activity. Secondly, why have a report function, at all, if you're not going to do anything with the information provided? Or course, we know the answer to this: to be seen to be doing something. It's shameful. I hate capitalism. At a less moral/philosophical level, the collateral effects of capitalism's singular pursuit of money (& very little else), is just deeply annoying.

BH

Posted on: 2013/8/7 13:51

Edited by Khaml on 2013/8/7 14:18:27

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
In eBay's defense, I have had an auction of mine taken down due to someone reporting it, so the reporting button/function does work - I am guessing they just don't know what to do with something as subjective as "is that a forgery or a real signature"?

Longer story - I was selling a boxed software product and as it turns out, that particular version was distributed as "not for resale" and I didn't know that - you could only tell from the UPC code. I didn't relist the item once I knew what I had. The report was made by the software maker, so they had "legitimacy" in the eyes of the eBay minion who handled the report.

I have a feeling that if the Tolkien Estate legal team notified eBay, the item would be taken down. That's probably the only way to get an action from them.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 14:12

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]