Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Sep, 2013
2013-9-3 5:54:24 AM UTC

Karl wrote:
For some reason, it doesn't come up under Fiction anymore, nor does it appear when I search "Unfinished Tales." I figured it was just some sort of glitch - hope to add it to the shelf in December!

Stuff randomly appears and disappears off the Tolkien.co.uk site all the time. It is fundamentally broken - I wouldn't worry about it!
10 Sep, 2013
2013-9-10 8:39:40 PM UTC
Just got my two Caitlin H's in the post today from BD; very nice looking books, although I'm still not too sure about the drawings themselves...

BH
15 Sep, 2013
2013-9-15 8:25:09 PM UTC
By the way, anyone else noticed the spelling mistake on the contents page of the Catlin Hobbits?
16 Sep, 2013
2013-9-16 6:20:16 AM UTC

Turambar wrote:
By the way, anyone else noticed the spelling mistake on the contents page of the Catlin Hobbits?

Thanks for spotting that 'INSDIE INFORMATION'.

I have let HC know for any reprints
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 12:31:45 AM UTC
Anyone who goes to the new (and not-very improved) tolkien.co.uk site will be presented with a banner that offers the Catlin Hobbit signed. Be aware that this appears to be erroneously associated with the deluxe version, but it is actually the standard version that they are selling signed. Usual Harper Collins website shenanigans :)
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 9:02:53 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Just got my two Caitlin H's in the post today from BD; very nice looking books, although I'm still not too sure about the drawings themselves...

BH

I got my signed standard edition today, and I like it more than I expected to, to be honest. Some of the pictures do have a certain charm to them. Interesting that no printer is listed (so presumably printed in China).

Question: Leave "Signed by Illustrator" sticker on the front or take it off? I'm tempted to leave it on, even though it will inevitably discolour the cloth underneath as the glue changes. I figure it is like the price stickers on early HoME editions - it is a sign of originality and "untamperedness".
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 4:56:25 PM UTC
The manner in which HarperCollins have chosen to distribute these signed standard editions is bizarre, as always. Clearly some booksellers have signed copies; MF (as discussed) has quite a few signed copies. (Don't recall quite how many he stated he had; if he stated). Every Waterstones in the country has signed copies on their shelves too. Caitlin is attending Oxonmoot, where she'll sign copies. Yet the official HarperCollins website claims they only have a hundred signed copies ("Exclusive Offer: The first 100 copies sold will be signed by the illustrator") --& that their offer is exclusive! In what possible way is this exclusive? It would be good if they were, but they ain't. Signed copies will be ten-a-penny & freely available to whoever wants one. I don't really see the point in this claim.

Anyways... was in the town today & walked into, the aforementioned, old Waterstones. Couple of signed ones there, so bought another one! Anyone want a unsigned copy?

BH
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 5:01:23 PM UTC
I am reminded of a time when unsigned Terry Pratchett books were jokingly rumoured to be rarer than signed ones. One notable fan went to a con with a couple of unsigned books in his bag, which someone snuck out, got pTerry to sign, and then snuck back in ...

- wellinghall
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 5:02:15 PM UTC
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=12726#forumpost12726

Trotter wrote there:
HarperCollins have told me that

"Approximately 1,000 signed copies are being distributed to independent bookstores and branches of Waterstones. " and tolkien.co.uk will also have signed items for sale.

Mark Faith had ~50 copies available on eBay, so I assume that is approximately how many he was allocated. According to eBay he has sold 42 copies so far.

I don't get the "exclusive" claim tolkien.co.uk makes either.
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 5:08:39 PM UTC
Stu wrote:

Question: Leave "Signed by Illustrator" sticker on the front or take it off? I'm tempted to leave it on, even though it will inevitably discolour the cloth underneath as the glue changes. I figure it is like the price stickers on early HoME editions - it is a sign of originality and "untamperedness".

I think there is some minimal positive value in leaving the sticker on - if for no other reason, in the unlikely event that someone starts forging her signature, this would be a good indicator of a real signed copy. More seriously, though, it is a valid "state" from the publisher, so I am sure that Findegil will mention it in the updated bibliography.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us