-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Stu
Home away from home

2004 Deluxe Edition reprints

23 Dec, 2009
2009-12-23 12:40:34 AM UTC

Hi All,

I noticed that HarperCollins sent out an email stating that the Deluxe Hobbit and LOTR are back in stock. Does anyone happen to know if these are new printings (i.e. 4th for LOTR and 2nd for The Hobbit) and - if so - whether they have been reprinted by LEGO Spa or if Clays (or someone else) have done the honours this time around? More than anything, I'm interested whether they are different than earlier printings (in the same way that the later books in the series have differed in various ways).

Cheers
Stu

PS. Happy Non-Denominationally-Specific-Festive-Season to everyone. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts this year.
23 Dec, 2009
2009-12-23 7:01:04 AM UTC
Hello
I asked them that same question and to date havent received a reply! If anyone hears would be interested as well.

Happy Christmas to all especially Dr Higgins.
24 Dec, 2009
2009-12-24 1:22:23 PM UTC
We too would like to know if our later corrections and the new index, and the correct facsimile Ring inscription in Book I, Chapter 2, have been included in the deluxe Lord of the Rings back in stock -- or were they already in the second or third printing, if a new printing would be a fourth? As editors and collectors we got the first printing, but haven't heard anything about what has come later for the deluxe. (We've bought some later, updated printings of the trade edition when in England.)

The new index of course is longer than the old one, and adding pages would add bulk to the book, which would affect the special binding case and slipcase, so looking at it from the point of view of economy, we suspect that the current deluxe printing is the same as the first -- but one never knows.

We also put this question to HarperCollins the other day, not however expecting a reply until January.

And now we're wondering as well if the Houghton Mifflin LR has been reprinted, with or without corrections. In bookshops it's always shrinkwrapped, so there's no way to check when browsing.

Best wishes to all for the holidays,

Wayne and Christina
27 Dec, 2009
2009-12-27 6:55:17 PM UTC
My copy of the HC Deluxe LR (bought about a year ago) is a 2nd printing, it has the additional corrections (including Fréaláf, hamfæst, swift falcon) and the right Ring inscription, but still the old index.
20 Sep, 2013
2013-9-20 3:22:53 PM UTC
Hi all- sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm wondering if this question/issue ever got resolved?

I know the first print of this edition of The Hobbit was like 4,000, so is there any way to tell the difference between the later printings? Most the stuff I see is shrinkwrapped (as mentioned above), so just curious if anyone knows. Thanks in advance for any replies!
20 Sep, 2013
2013-9-20 8:12:42 PM UTC
With all of these recent deluxe incarnations --if isn't stated as a first (or is in shrinkwrap) I, personally, assume it's a reprint; since all of them are into later impressions now.

BH
20 Sep, 2013
2013-9-20 10:11:11 PM UTC
I have these issues. There is no indication that they are reprints.

1946_523cc7ff9715c.jpg 1024X503 px
20 Sep, 2013
2013-9-20 10:24:52 PM UTC
With the Hobbit Deluxe, the reprint can be identified as it is not printed by LEGO, sPA.

The paper on the boards is also a different texture and colour. The reprint is a bit brighter green and the texture is much less defined. Stands out a mile when you know what to look for.

That may also apply to the others (but I haven't personally seen the others).
20 Sep, 2013
2013-9-20 10:42:11 PM UTC

tolkienbrasil wrote:
I have these issues. There is no indication that they are reprints.

Based on spine shape and colour (which might be distorted by the photo), I'd certainly say that the Hobbit looks like a reprint. Who is listed as the printer? I think the last copy I saw here in Aus had a Chinese or Hong Kong printer listed (can't remember specifically), but it wasn't LEGO.

The spine looks quite flat on that silmarillion as well. The original print of the Sil has a fairly curved spine and a noticeable line which runs down the centre of said spine (seems like a join in the materials under the paper, and is present on all the copies that I have seen).
20 Sep, 2013
2013-9-20 11:19:02 PM UTC
All books are printed in Hong Kong. Except the book Children of Hurin that was printed by LEGO. Tales from perilous realms and the legend of sigurd and gudrun, ans the others books was printed in great britain.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us