It seems that I never posted an announcement for the Facebook login option yet, but I see that quite a few people have used it now, so better late than never!

Using the Facebook login button allows you access to all of the member functions here on TolkienGuide.com without having to create and remember a separate login account specifically for this site.

TolkienGuide does not ask for or need permission to read your Facebook posts or make posts on Facebook on your behalf. One member function available to TolkienGuide members is to receive email notifications when new posts are made on topics you are following - because of this, when you give permission to TolkienGuide to see your basic Facebook profile information (name, profile photo), it also asks for your email address.

Once you have logged in to TolkienGuide with Facebook, you can go to your profile page ("View Account" button on the left side menu) and change your display name, profile picture, and email address that were imported from Facebook. This data is only imported once from Facebook upon creation of your TolkienGuide account, so if you later change your Facebook profile those changes will not be reflected on TolkienGuide.

If you already have a login account on TolkienGuide (username/password) and then log in via Facebook, you will end up with two TolkienGuide accounts. I can easily manually merge these two into a single account if you send me a message.

Just to summarize - this is not a full integration with Facebook, nor is it necessary to have a Facebook account to use TolkienGuide. This is just adding an easy way for more people to get the full value of TolkienGuide without needing to remember yet another account username and password.