Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Beren
Home away from home

The Hobbit HmCo 1966 pirated edition?

28 Jan, 2014
2014-1-28 8:29:03 AM UTC

Do you know the following copy of the Hobbit?

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/tolkien-book-store/CLP0052.htm

It reminds me of the Taiwanese editions, but is not the same...
Just mentions HmCo on the jacket, printed by Houghton Mifflin and a 1966 date.

Further has something that looks like Chinese characters... but no other info.

The red boards are similar to a Fellowship of the Ring copy I hold, that also shows the same Chinese characters and no further info either.

Is this some kind of pirated edition? The paper is of extreme low quality
and the book is very thin (like the taiwanese hobbit).

Got one reaction so far from Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull:

"We haven't seen this edition, but agree that it appears to be a Chinese pirate."
28 Jan, 2014
2014-1-28 10:05:01 AM UTC
I've a copy of The Silmarillion (lacking the DJ unfortunately) which is similar & which, I think, I've mentioned here before. Like this H, it's not a GA&U pirate; and although it doesn't state anything on the title page regarding the publisher (unlike the Bookcase Shop UK pirate editions), it's a HMCo pirate as it states "First American Edition" (see pictures). Covers, although also red, aren't the same though; your H looks cloth bound.

BH

125_52e781be4da31.jpg 448X336 px

125_52e781dc3e59a.jpg 448X336 px

125_52e781ed58f75.jpg 768X1024 px
28 Jan, 2014
2014-1-28 10:12:56 AM UTC
If only we could read Chinese... if it is chinese... jeremy can't you ask one of your friends to tells us what is written here?

I do hold a Fellowship of the Ring, same binding, dustjacket, and also HmCo pirated edition.
28 Jan, 2014 (edited)
2014-1-28 1:27:37 PM UTC
Hi!

Yes, the characters are Chinese, and it's indeed a Taiwanese (Republic of China, as opposed to People's Republic of China, that is) edition, published in 1970. And it's definitely pirated, because the first licensed editions of "The Hobbit" appeared much later.

Cheers,

felagund
28 Jan, 2014
2014-1-28 2:17:02 PM UTC
This (I'm now referring to Khamul's "Silmarillion") is also a Taiwanese pirated edition, publication date is 1977.
FWIW, the publisher's name (rendered in Pinyin) is Huang Jia Publishing House Ltd., and the book was distributed by Lin Kou Book Company.
The imprint also contains info on the printer, addresses, etc, the usual stuff.
There is not, however, any further information about the original publisher beyond what's written above in English, but yes, has to be HM.

felagund
28 Jan, 2014
2014-1-28 9:55:23 PM UTC
I see the Hobbit edition in question listed at 300 euros. Just wondering how this was arrived at? I have a pirated Silmarillion similar to the one displayed by Khamul (though with a DJ). I have always wondered what it is worth as I didn't think these pirated volumes were of much value.
28 Jan, 2014
2014-1-28 10:01:18 PM UTC
No idea. You'd better ask Beren where he plucked that number from?

In respect to the pirated copies of The Silmarillion --I have another three UK/GA&U copies. One has the copyright page excised (I think the original one I bought) & the other two are binding variants, being bound in slightly different colours of cloth. All three have DJs in pretty decent shape.

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us