Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Jun, 2015
2015-6-23 11:05:37 AM UTC
I know you mentioned the Unfinished Tales that matches the HOME 12 volume set as a rarity. Curious what other volumes you would put in the rare column. Its funny because most other things I collect are much more numerous than most of these books for which a run of 500 is seen as high.
24 Jun, 2015
2015-6-24 12:55:38 AM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:
I know you mentioned the Unfinished Tales that matches the HOME 12 volume set as a rarity. Curious what other volumes you would put in the rare column. Its funny because most other things I collect are much more numerous than most of these books for which a run of 500 is seen as high.

There are obviously some ultra-rarities (e.g. Songs for the Philologists), but to be honest, most Tolkien stuff just isn't particularly rare. The Super Deluxe Silmarillion from 1982 would certainly be an expensive rarity. I'm sure others will chime in.
24 Jun, 2015
2015-6-24 5:24:20 PM UTC
I definitely got the idea of how few people collect these books from the fact that you and I seem to be the people posting here and on the libraryanything thread (I think my username is different there). Seems people pop in and then disappear after awhile and new people pick up the torch. Both sites are really useful for new people like me.

That 1982 Sil looks to match the green leather Hobbit that tends to fade on the spine.
24 Jun, 2015
2015-6-24 5:30:10 PM UTC
We're just not always that chatty sometimes...
(Stu excepted!)

BH
24 Jun, 2015
2015-6-24 10:27:02 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
We're just not always that chatty sometimes...
(Stu excepted!)

BH

Well, if there is absolutely nothing worthwhile to say, I still like to say it. Everyone else here has more sense (and is probably also less bored)....

Off topic, but did anyone get that "Elansea" book, by the way? I've been hoping to sea review on here to know what I'm (possibly not) missing.
4 Jul, 2015
2015-7-4 7:39:14 PM UTC
Ugh, So the books arrived. HOME 1 is not sealed and is quite ratty and both the LOTR and Hobbit are later impressions (seller told me they were cloth cases), let alone the other minor issues with the cheaper books (sun faded spines). The HOME 1 looks quite awful. Yikes.
4 Jul, 2015
2015-7-4 8:46:53 PM UTC
Yikes indeed!

I didn't really pay that much attention to the auctions once the prices started rising. I hope you weren't only going on the presence of a cloth slipcase for impression numbering in regard to LR? Were they stated to be first impressions? Having said all this, if the seller said a copy was sealed, & it wasn't, --then clearly this is grounds for returning the item as not described. You spent a hell of a lot of money to not be happy with the condition of these books...

BH
4 Jul, 2015
2015-7-4 9:53:06 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:
Ugh, So the books arrived. HOME 1 is not sealed and is quite ratty and both the LOTR and Hobbit are later impressions (seller told me they were cloth cases), let alone the other minor issues with the cheaper books (sun faded spines). The HOME 1 looks quite awful. Yikes.

That's terrible news re the HOME 1 - Don't muck about here. You must immediately file a dispute with eBay on that book. If the book is not as described, then you should pursue a refund ASAP, and you need to maximise your chances of success by saying within the time windows. Sealed or otherwise, the HOME 1 is stated to be in "as new", "mint", "unread" condition.

I notice the text for HOME 1 doesn't say "still in shrink-wrap", which is - perhaps - telling. I also notice what looks like tape at the top and bottom of the Home 1 Pictures. It looks like an unsealed book with some cling-wrap taped on -- but only with the benefit of hindsight. I'm assuming the other books WERE sealed, and the seller cleverly gave the impression that this one was also, without actually stating it. It also means the pictures didn't show the condition of the book at all -- sneaky.

I think with the Hobbit, you are out of luck, unless you still have the email communications with the seller stating it is a cloth slipcase (if you do, then definitely file a dispute). There is nothing in the auction itself to indicate that it is the 1st impression. From the pictures it appears to be a 2nd impression with vinyl slipcase (if I had to guess), but it isn't possible to be sure either way from those pictures. I guess it is down to any email claims, and as to whether it is in the stated condition (you mention sun-faded spines?).

With the LOTR, I can see fairly easily that it is a 3rd/4th impression by looking at the picture of the reverse of the slipcase. You can see the fake grain showing through. However, again - if the seller has claimed a cloth slipcase in your email communications with them, then I would say you have grounds for a dispute. If not, then it is just down to whether the book is in "mint", "as new" condition. Note that a cloth slipcase wouldn't have guaranteed you a 1st, as the first two impressions of LoTR had cloth slipcases.

I hope you get a decent result. I think you are definitely in the clear with HoME1 if it is tatty, but you may struggle on the others, and it may depend on the communication outside of the auction. Best of luck getting an acceptable outcome.
4 Jul, 2015
2015-7-4 10:02:25 PM UTC
Yes, I knew cloth was 1st or 2nd on the LOTR but thought that was ok with me. Still waiting to hear back.
4 Jul, 2015
2015-7-4 10:05:35 PM UTC
Yes thanks, I do have email communication through Ebay about all of this, including the cloth slip cases, so I have my fingers crossed. Wait until some of the winners get their various HOME editions that are price clipped. But to the point others have made, having now seen these earlier "deluxe" sets in person, well, not so impressive ;)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us