Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Sep, 2015
2015-9-13 9:00:45 PM UTC
eBay seller leemingrj ("The Road Goes Ever On Tolkien & Swann Song Cycle" listing):
First published 1968. Second impression 1969.
I am not a dealer, just downsizing in my ninth decade to make it easier for my executors.
Starting at a reasonable price so happy bidding.
BH
19 May, 2021
2021-5-19 7:58:21 PM UTC
The Inexorable Decline of Abebooks

A response to my query about the unlikelihood of a 70+ year old book being "new" (described as such) & whether this book still had a new dustjacket...

I am currently not in the same area as the shipping department, so I'm
unable to look into any specifics. However, the condition is based on
Abebooks guidelines. If the item is listed as new, it will contain
whatever supplemental materials are meant to come with it, but depending
on age there may be signs of shelf wear.

A book described as possibly being ex-lib. I asked what marks suggested this &/or how this wasn't clear...

I am happy that you have reached out to me about this title. Unfortunately, we cannot honor your request for additional information on this listing. Sadly we do not have a verification process in place between all of our distribution centers. Our technology team is working with me to create such a process, but it is a work in progress and has proven difficult to integrate. Please note that we list all of our books online according to their ISBN/ASIN numbers, authors, and publisher. This information is directly related to a specific edition, the binding, and the language. Although I may not be able to provide you with additional details, please know that we stand behind our listings and if you chose to order from us and for any reason, the item is not as expected, we will work with you to make it right.

Uh.
19 May, 2021
2021-5-19 8:16:03 PM UTC
I’ve noticed those ‘possibly ex-lib’ listings becoming more prevalent the last couple years. Like saying, ‘this book could be in perfect condition or totally worthless condition.’ Obnoxious.
20 May, 2021
2021-5-20 12:46:35 AM UTC
I'm so glad this thread was revived. I'd completely forgotten about the post from April 12 2015 on the first page. Marvellous seller interaction that one!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us