Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Carpenter's Biography DJ Printed Prices

7 Jul, 2016
2016-7-7 4:48:08 AM UTC

Hello, if anyone here has some free time, I was wondering if you could help me out with a couple questions I have about the first edition of Carpenter's 'J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography'. Specifically, I'm wondering about the printed price/price labels on the inside flap of the dust jacket.

Hammond's Bibliography states: "Some copies seen have a label affixed below the text on the front flap, printed: '£4.95 | net | George Allen | and Unwin'. Other copies have had the lower corner of the front flap clipped; one clipped flap seen has the partial text 'PRI' in the lower corner. Printed in the lower corner of the front flap of a proof dust-jacket: PRICE NET | £4.95 | IN U.K. ONLY'." (B32, p330)

I have three 1st impressions and one 3rd impression. Two of the 1st impressions have the label described above. The third 1st impression is the same as the proof dust-jacket described above but it is not a proof. In the picture attached, the top two jackets are 1st impressions and the bottom is the 3rd impression. I'm just bored curious, and wondering how much more common the label is than the printed price. I'm also wondering if the 2nd impression printed price looks the same as the 1st or the same as the 3rd.

Additionally, on TolkienBooks.net it's stated that "The 1st Impression is bound in dark brown cloth over boards.
The 2nd Impression is bound in mid- brown cloth.
The binding materials used for the 3rd Impression are unknown." I've attached a picture of the 1st and 3rd impression boards (the top is the 1st, the bottom is the 3rd). I'm guessing the 3rd is the same mid-brown cloth as the 2nd, but I don't have a 2nd impression to compare it to.

(If it's not ok to quote from these sources please let me know so I can remove it)

4451_577ddef18eb5e.jpg 1008X1344 px

4451_577ddefe53f56.jpg 1008X1344 px
7 Jul, 2016 (edited)
2016-7-7 3:32:20 PM UTC
My 1st Impression has no printed price in it, or any labels, and it is not price clipped.

It seems surprising that it has no price at all, I think it should have had a printed price or a price label?
9 Jul, 2016
2016-7-9 10:15:14 PM UTC
Thanks Trotter, that's interesting
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us