Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Jul, 2016
2016-7-20 1:22:00 PM UTC
Yes, I can confirm, that Martin sold it privatly. Price was negotiated and was acceptable. GBP is cheap these days
20 Jul, 2016
2016-7-20 4:12:17 PM UTC
This is where I was on it. This one could be had for around 2k US vs a new offering from the Tolkien Bookshelf for a clean and signed copy for just under 5k, likely could haggle that down a little. Is a clean and signed copy worth double? The numbers hurt regardless.
21 Jul, 2016
2016-7-21 10:49:20 PM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
This is where I was on it. This one could be had for around 2k US vs a new offering from the Tolkien Bookshelf for a clean and signed copy for just under 5k, likely could haggle that down a little. Is a clean and signed copy worth double? The numbers hurt regardless.

Remember asking prices != selling prices (or not always). Tolkien collecting is a bit of an oddity, though. Most genres of book collecting seem to only ascribe significant value to books that are either very, very rare or are in fine condition (or close to). I think the whole movie thing drew in a lot of people into collecting Tolkien who were less bothered about condition. That seems to be unwinding a bit now, and I think Tolkien collecting will become a lot more discerning over time.
21 Jul, 2016
2016-7-21 11:32:01 PM UTC
Its odd you mention the condition thing. I admit I am approaching my two year anniversary of collecting the books but have been a lifelong collector of Tolkien and other fantasy art, toys, etc. I can say in the vintage toy game condition matters, a lot. It seems with books some things are overlooked like a minor bumped corner. I have really yet to get a book and inspect it with the same eyes as I do toys and be happy with it. They always seem to have some issue and retailers and resellers rarely pack the things worth a damn.

I also admit that it was social media and the HC deluxe series that got me here. As I collect too much I am not a completist in any way and have a short list left of signed, limited items before I figure out how much I can afford on "as close to a first edition" of The Hobbit and LOTR.
22 Jul, 2016
2016-7-22 9:37:04 AM UTC
I've been collecting Tolkien books for over 15 years now. I've started with German editions, which I completed a couple of years ago (all in fine condition or even sealed) and went over to the original editions. Normally I focus on very good to fine condition, but in this case I made an exception. And let's face it. This book shows up for a reasonable price only every few years. So you can either wait for the next, or the one after, or you can buy this one and be proud of another gem in your collection.
22 Jul, 2016
2016-7-22 2:06:30 PM UTC
Yes, in some ways all that matters is the spine and slipcase as 99% of the time that is what you will see.
22 Jul, 2016 (edited)
2016-7-22 3:16:53 PM UTC

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:
Yes, in some ways all that matters is the spine and slipcase as 99% of the time that is what you will see.

Great, my copy #205, when I bought it had a faded spine, 3 nicks in the leather, and no slipcase, so I had a matching slipcase made.

From Khamûl's list in this thread

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=15722#forumpost15722

2009: £588 [#205, unsigned, no slipcase]

Fails in every respect
22 Jul, 2016
2016-7-22 10:02:15 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Tapuvae (Chris) wrote:

Great, my copy #205, when I bought it had a faded spine, 3 nicks in the leather, and no slipcase, so I had a matching slipcase made.

From Khamûl's list in this thread

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=15722#forumpost15722

2009: £588 [#205, unsigned, no slipcase]

Fails in every respect

I think that is the problem with both of the GA&U SD Editions -- the bit you see is usually the bit that suffers badly due to the UV. I've never been happy with my SD Hobbit for this reason. I could live with it on a £600 copy of the Sil, but I don't think I could live with it on a £2000 copy. I missed out on an excellent unsigned copy for AUD 700 a few years back. D'oh!
22 Jul, 2016
2016-7-22 10:17:33 PM UTC
Yeah for 600 pounds...

I didn't realize the Sil has spine issues as well but it makes sense I suppose. Seems like many copies of the SDH have spine toning, to the point that some dealers aren't discounting much at all. Incidentally the lot at Cheffins did not have toning, but that went for 400 pounds or so.
23 Jul, 2016
2016-7-23 6:29:49 AM UTC
SD Sil came today. Condition is pretty good. The spine no toning, seems like it was stored in a cellar, not in a shelf compared to the smell. But anyway, looks very good on my shelf.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us