Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Bookseller stickers

12 Aug, 2016
2016-8-12 2:34:01 AM UTC

I received a book yesterday with a bookseller's sticker on the rear pastedown. It wasn't mentioned in the book's description. When I asked the seller about it he said,

"I don’t always mention booksellers’ discreet mini stickers as, in my experience, they are regarded as a benign part of a book’s provenance, rather as a binder’s edge stamp is, if anything, an asset in a leather binding. Yours is the first such objection I have encountered in over 30 years book selling."

We reconciled with a partial refund, but I was just curious if other collectors/sellers feel similarly to this seller. Personally, I was surprised (not upset, just surprised) at his response and felt that it should certainly have been noted in the description. But perhaps there's some truth to what he says?

4451_57ad3599e706d.png 484X491 px
12 Aug, 2016
2016-8-12 4:35:29 AM UTC
The book world is indeed odd in my experience in other collectibles. I posted about a similar experience where the inventory sticker was on front cover. Odder to me is the practice of writing the price in pencil inside the cover, would never happen in the comics or toy arenas.
12 Aug, 2016
2016-8-12 5:37:35 AM UTC
I agree with most of sellers comments but in my humble opinion it should have formed part of description.
That said I wouldn't be upset /surprised if missed
Gives it character an estate agent would say
12 Aug, 2016
2016-8-12 6:38:35 AM UTC
It should have been noted in the description, and I do not believe for a minute that you are the first buyer he has encountered in 30 years that thought the omission in the description was odd.

I don't like the sellers response one bit -- It is designed to make you feel uncomfortable complaining.
12 Aug, 2016
2016-8-12 8:39:51 PM UTC
Thank you for the input all!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us