Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 7:49:30 AM UTC
Thanks for all the hard work involved - looking forward to ordering my copy when the hubbub has finally died down.

Someone should really try and write a longish article on the WHOLE genesis of this edition, the ordering process etc. :)

And P.S.: Hwaet? Charles isn't here _yet`_? He most certainly would we warmly welcome *g*
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 1:38:14 PM UTC

Olwe wrote:

Someone should really try and write a longish article on the WHOLE genesis of this edition, the ordering process etc. :)

I concur. I honestly have no idea what the hype about this book is, and I can't find any information anywhere about what makes it special (other than that it caters to people who can't afford a true first edition).
28 Sep, 2016 (edited)
2016-9-28 1:51:42 PM UTC

Earl wrote:
I concur. I honestly have no idea what the hype about this book is, and I can't find any information anywhere about what makes it special (other than that it caters to people who can't afford a true first edition).

I think it is to do with the length of time this book has taken to come out, promises made and broken, it originally was meant to have an audio CD with unreleased readings by J.R.R. Tolkien from the book. Hopefully this will see the light of day next year for the 80th anniversary.

You also get to see the novel before changes were made to tie it in to the later Lord of the Rings. Tolkien looked at making even more changes to tie it in further, but very thankfully was told don't do it as it would ruin The Hobbit, and he very wisely stopped at that point.

It was about five years late. Every time it was due to be released a new delay would occur and it got to the point that people thought it would never be published, it might be described as the unicorn edition of The Hobbit.
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 3:35:37 PM UTC
Hey everyone -- I logged in here for the first time in... well, I really don't know how long because I wasn't even aware I had an account (Trotter kindly reminded me about the site's existence when I was asking around about the delay on this book on Twitter last week); wanted to let everyone know my copy from Amazon UK is preparing for dispatch, so I assume yours are as well.

Unfortunately (well, not really) I'm leaving for New Zealand for three weeks on Tuesday so it's highly unlikely I'll see this before then as I paid the standard shipping cost and I live in NYC. I'll have something to look forward to when we return from our vacation!

Also: just looking into my first post now (from six years ago!) -- I'm definitely in a better place than I was then. Have gotten most of my collection back.

And for those asking what the value is in a facsimile of the first edition: most people cannot afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars/pounds on a book, and thus most of us will never own a first edition. I'd think the appeal in a facsimile would be obvious
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 4:32:20 PM UTC
Welcome back
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 5:04:36 PM UTC
Yes definitely, welcome back!

I've gotten my shipping notification for the Facsimile Hobbit myself, so hope to see it in person soon.
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 5:30:12 PM UTC
Amazon.com or UK?
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 5:53:32 PM UTC
BookDepository.com for me, shipping from UK to USA. Can be cheaper depending on when order is placed, etc. Plus shipping is free to the States.
28 Sep, 2016
2016-9-28 6:26:10 PM UTC
Seeing the buzz this publication creates, especially at Facebook, it wouldn't surprise me if the 4,000 print-run will be sold out. For those here who might not have Facebook, by the way, a copy was found at Hodges & Figgis, Dublin.

Like many others here, I now have an estimated arrival date (at Amazon UK): October 05 2016 - October 07.
28 Sep, 2016 (edited)
2016-9-28 7:01:30 PM UTC

Earl wrote:

Olwe wrote:

That is the only thing that make it special. But as Trotter pointed out, the edition is legendary for its lateness.

(I think the "hype" probably involves a very small number of people -- I don't personally see this is being a huge mainstream thing of interest)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us