Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Oct, 2016
2016-10-5 10:09:58 PM UTC
Got another copy through from HarperCollins (which was nice of them). Looks like standard tolkien.co.uk packaging (sturdy cardboard envelope - thicker than the BD ones) -- has provided the necessary protection and no bumps! Two copies of a slipcased book with no bumps -- this has to be a record!
6 Oct, 2016
2016-10-6 12:20:20 AM UTC
Amazing! I bought two and I'm hoping at least one gets here without bumps
6 Oct, 2016 (edited)
2016-10-6 4:29:49 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:
Amazing! I bought two and I'm hoping at least one gets here without bumps

Fingers crossed -- it really is a lottery with online book buying. These are less heavy than some of the deluxe editions, so I think they might fare a little better in the post than they sometimes do.
6 Oct, 2016
2016-10-6 10:54:31 PM UTC
Just a side note on the paperback Leaf By Niggle that was released in July - finally decided to pick up a copy by mail order. It is now in (at least) its sixth printing, so must be doing better than they expected.
6 Oct, 2016
2016-10-6 11:10:30 PM UTC
Wow, I wonder what the print runs were; Presumably fairly small.
7 Oct, 2016
2016-10-7 4:59:02 AM UTC
My hardback copy of The Story of Kullervo is a 5th impression.
7 Oct, 2016
2016-10-7 6:40:04 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:
My hardback copy of The Story of Kullervo is a 5th impression.

Mine is a 2nd. The firsts sold out very quickly. That said, it wasn't a title I minded not having a 1st, but was unusual in that it must be the first book I have purchased new in the last few years that wasn't one.
7 Oct, 2016
2016-10-7 8:43:38 AM UTC
Hi folks; having a lovely time here in New Zealand so far, and have been reading my Hobbit Facsimile First edition in the evenings. A bit too tired after a day of tramping to read so we're turning in for the evening, but wanted to ask: can anyone tell me the story with the letters of the alphabet that appear at the bottom of pages throughout this edition? Was this so in the first edition and any subsequent editions as well? I've never seen it in a book so am at a loss as to what it means exactly. The letters do appear in alphabetical order, and I have most recently encountered the letter G at the beginning of Chapter VI.
7 Oct, 2016
2016-10-7 10:07:42 AM UTC

nusilver wrote:
Hi folks; having a lovely time here in New Zealand so far, and have been reading my Hobbit Facsimile First edition in the evenings. A bit too tired after a day of tramping to read so we're turning in for the evening, but wanted to ask: can anyone tell me the story with the letters of the alphabet that appear at the bottom of pages throughout this edition? Was this so in the first edition and any subsequent editions as well? I've never seen it in a book so am at a loss as to what it means exactly. The letters do appear in alphabetical order, and I have most recently encountered the letter G at the beginning of Chapter VI.

They are signature marks. They indicate how the signatures (sets of pages) need to be arranged to put the book together. Not uncommon on older books. They are present in one form or another right through to the end of the third edition (from memory).

Where abouts are you in NZ?
8 Oct, 2016
2016-10-8 2:07:42 AM UTC
On the Atlas of Middle-earth portion of this discussion - I just got a first printing, so now I can compare with the revised edition. If I have time this weekend I will take a closer look.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us