Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Nov, 2016
2016-11-7 3:49:27 AM UTC
The room where the books are has sun and heat blocking curtains, but some sunlight sneaks in by reflection. UV window tints and reorganizing the room to move the bookcase farther away from the door is the next step.

Stu, you said you added a film of acid free paper so that the books are not resting directly over the wooden bookcase. What is the actual effect of wood acid vapors on books? (browning, foxing?)
7 Nov, 2016
2016-11-7 4:40:12 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:
The room where the books are has sun and heat blocking curtains, but some sunlight sneaks in by reflection. UV window tints and reorganizing the room to move the bookcase farther away from the door is the next step.

Stu, you said you added a film of acid free paper so that the books are not resting directly over the wooden bookcase. What is the actual effect of wood acid vapors on books? (browning, foxing?)

Wasn't trying to avoid any vapours; Just didn't want to the risk that any wood-stain migrated onto the edges.
7 Nov, 2016
2016-11-7 5:29:52 PM UTC
So not scared of wood vapors?
7 Nov, 2016
2016-11-7 7:15:19 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:
So not scared of wood vapors?

The wood is all recycled and has been seasoned a long, long time ago, so is not a concern. And like I said, we aren't talking about anything of Earth-shattering rareness. In 15 years I'll most likely be underground, so they don't have to stay in good condition forever :)
7 Nov, 2016
2016-11-7 8:56:31 PM UTC
That sounds terribly pessimistic. But I see your point, barring unnatural disasters these books will outlive us for sure.
7 Nov, 2016
2016-11-7 9:47:06 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:
That sounds terribly pessimistic. But I see your point, barring unnatural disasters these books will outlive us for sure.

You should see my family history :)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us