Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Jan, 2017
2017-1-13 6:34:00 PM UTC
I'd be interested in buying a Super Deluxe. I mean, really, the S&G Super Deluxe was a real mis-step since it wasn't a new Middle-earth release. Doesn't really make sense to have given it & not everything else the Super Deluxe treatment. Consistency & all that...

BH
13 Jan, 2017
2017-1-13 7:17:37 PM UTC
This is a Super Deluxe I would be interested in as well. I agree that S&G was not appealing (for me at least). Perhaps they were testing the waters to see if the non M-e titles would sell well in the SD format.
13 Jan, 2017
2017-1-13 9:51:01 PM UTC
I'd be interested if the quality, price, production location, limitatation and content were right. I'm not sure I'd be interested in £350 / 500 copies, especially if the content is really just an aggregation of already published material with a bit of connecting filler (which may or may not be the case).

I still think the CoH SD is a wonderful book, but it was overpriced. S&G was flawed, but still has merit, though overpriced and FAR too many copies.
14 Jan, 2017
2017-1-14 9:15:28 AM UTC
Yes I did indeed like the dust jacket (apologies for calling it a slipcover and confusing you) :)

I did see the Beren and Luthien cover a while ago. It will be interesting for sure to see if they release a deluxe or super deluxe for it.
14 Jan, 2017
2017-1-14 5:28:46 PM UTC
Stu, I don't really follow your comments about content; surely these Super Deluxe editions are just going to have the same content as the standard release? They're never going to add any special content; all you're going to get is fine binding (you'd hope) & a CT/artist signature(s). Do you just mean you want to wait & see what the B&L content actually is?

BH
14 Jan, 2017 (edited)
2017-1-14 8:33:42 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Stu, I don't really follow your comments about content; surely these Super Deluxe editions are just going to have the same content as the standard release? They're never going to add any special content; all you're going to get is fine binding (you'd hope) & a CT/artist signature(s). Do you just mean you want to wait & see what the B&L content actually is?

BH

No, I'm not expecting any additional content in an SD vs in a standard edition - I mean that if the content of all the editions is essentially recycled (bar the Alan Lee illustrations, I guess), I won't personally value the book enough to have a Super Deluxe edition of it. I don't mind being a victim of marketing to some extent, but I don't have a good feeling about B&L as yet, and splashing 15 pounds on some content I already have with a new cover is obviously a different siutation than spending 350 pounds on that same content.
15 Jan, 2017
2017-1-15 12:41:39 PM UTC
I mean that if the content of all the editions is essentially recycled (bar the Alan Lee illustrations, I guess), I won't personally value the book enough to have a Super Deluxe edition of it

I can honestly say without sarcasm that I am envious of people who don't have the completist sickness. If a book is within the scope of my collecting parameters and I can afford it (and often even if I cant afford it) I HAVE to have it.
15 Jan, 2017
2017-1-15 1:21:38 PM UTC
I would also like to see a Super Deluxe B&L, so how many copies should they do of this, 500 seems to be far to many, so what might be a better number?
15 Jan, 2017
2017-1-15 1:52:25 PM UTC
One hundred would suffice.

BH
15 Jan, 2017
2017-1-15 6:59:18 PM UTC

Qweniden wrote:
I mean that if the content of all the editions is essentially recycled (bar the Alan Lee illustrations, I guess), I won't personally value the book enough to have a Super Deluxe edition of it

I can honestly say without sarcasm that I am envious of people who don't have the completist sickness. If a book is within the scope of my collecting parameters and I can afford it (and often even if I cant afford it) I HAVE to have it.

Probably a lot of people go through that phase, but having collected Tolkien to a greater or lesser extent for 35 years, that phase is long gone for me! Now I'm only interested in buying it if it is actually *good*. B&L may well be good, but the description doesn't give me much confidence as yet that it won't be another round of drab brown Alan Lee illustrations tacked onto previously published material, with a bit of new connecting filler. I'm in the phase of collecting where I can't justify hundreds of pounds for something I will probably very rarely look at. I reserve the right to change my mind if the book turns out to be better than I'm expecting, of course!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us