Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By elfy
Just popping in

Babel Hobbits - collection of multilingual editions of _Hobbit_

8 Aug, 2008
2008-8-8 8:02:13 AM UTC

Under this address: http://tolkien.com.pl/hobbit you will find my personal collection of multilingual editions of "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

There are currently 99 _Hobbits_ (25 1st editions) in 44 languages and 1614! scanned illustrations.

I think as collectors you will like to visit them ;)

Greetings!

Marek
8 Aug, 2008
2008-8-8 9:58:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the link Marek. Looks like an interesting site from my browsings so far. I like it!
9 Aug, 2008
2008-8-9 2:48:06 PM UTC
Hi Marek,

Fantastic Site! Sincere thanks for making this available. It is the best site I have seen so far for Foreign Translations of the Hobbit. Congratulations! It must have taken a lot of work getting it all together and scanning all those illustrations. Very much appreciate your efforts and for making it available to all.

Just one (small) suggestion. It would be nice to include the ISBN's of the books (where available).

Many Thanks Again, Great Site!!!
Best Wishes,
Remy.
9 Aug, 2008
2008-8-9 6:43:33 PM UTC
Thank you very much for all kind words :) I'm really happy that you like my website, found it funny, interesting and useful :)

It took me a lot of time, indeed. To scan all those illustrations and write the scripts was long time task, almost a year :)

Now almost all pleasure is mine ;) to show you all these rare and fascinating books.
Did you notest 1st example (in my knowledge) of Tolkien text published in Russsia? (UCCP)

The book is from 1975, illustrated and contains 1st chapter of the Hobbit.
http://tolkien.com.pl/hobbit/collecti ... it-russian-1975.php#photo

About ISBN, nice idea, thanks! But do you have some idea how to call this to hold hobbitish atmoshpere?
I mean like in these cases:

# Born: 1982(28 january) (1st edition published in Spain)
# City of birth: Barcelona
# Age: 26 years old
# Family size: he doesn't remember ;)

Maybe, ID Card: ISBN 000-000-000? Hmm, it's not sound enough hobbitish for me :) What do you think? Currently I don't have a good idea about it but ISBN sure could be valuable addition.

btw: on first page I have RSS feed. You can subscribe it (if you use FireFox browser I recommend you "Brief" addon) to receive some news about my collection and website (mainly when new hobbit arrives, yesterday I added 1st Spanish edition published in Spain)

Greetings!
Marek
14 Aug, 2008
2008-8-14 10:18:01 PM UTC
Today I have added second, alternative method of subscription for news from Babel Hobbits. Maybe still the most popular(?). By email.

I will post newsletter only when I add something new to my website. Mainly that will be new hobbits I suppouse :)

You can subscribe newsletter on the mainpage of Babel Hobbits.

Greetings,
Marek

31_48a4aeda8d54a.jpg 808X97 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us