Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Tolkien signature
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
That's a tough break for David Miller, but it's good to see he is doing absolutely the right thing and taking these off the market (not that I would have expected any different - I bought a book off him a couple of years ago and he seemed like a nice bloke).

I guess one of the problems with the trading of signatures/autographs is that they really are so fakable. Not necessarily easily faked well, but it's far from impossible to do so. I think what is really odd about these items is that the signatures were done relatively well, but the typing and transcription (from the original sources) were done so poorly. I almost think that it was a double-bluff on the part of the forger.

I often wonder what the percentage of real signatures versus fakes are out there, and I've come to the conclusion that it probably isn't nearly as low as we would like it to be.

So I guess I'll be sticking to my unsigned books!

Posted on: 2008/10/13 19:40

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
If Bloomsbury has, in fact, withdrawn the letter, why is it still listed on eBay: http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/e ... ewitem=&item=170269890214

It is good to hear that David Miller pulled those other items; it is unfortunate that he purchased them, nonetheless.

Josh

Posted on: 2008/10/13 22:44

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Bloomsbury have stated that they can't cancel the Ebay auction or remove the entry from there web site, for 'technical reasons' but it will register as not being sold.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 1:45

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
For completeness I have checked Bloomsbury's website

246. Tolkien (J.R.R., author and philologist … Typed Letter signed to a female ?member of … (details)
estimate: £300 – £400

unsold

Posted on: 2008/10/20 10:51

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The Bloomsbury listing on eBay shows that the auction ended with a bid of GBP150, but 0 bidders and 0 bids. It's a poor system that can't, for technological reasons, withdraw an item before the sale, or at least add a note stating that there are questions of authenticity. Since this piece no doubt will endure in Web archives, one can only hope that future researchers also come across our exchange about it.

Wayne

Posted on: 2008/10/21 4:13

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.