Stu
5 hours 50 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

1987 The Hobbit #13 of 500 (signed)
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi Folks,

I've just joined, specifically so I can find out about, and hopefully sell, a limited edition of The Hobbit. It's the 1987 50th anniversary edition, bound in green leather and signed by Christopher Tolkien. I understand the first 100 copies were signed, and this is number 13. It is in unread condition.

The only other copy I have found online is available for purchase at just under £3,000 so, naturally, I'd be delighted if I could sell my copy for about that amount, although I'd appreciate any comments regarding how to value this particular book. I'm more of a reader than a collector, so this is all a bit new to me!

Posted on: 2009/3/9 5:17

Re: 1987 The Hobbit #13 of 500 (signed)
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I guess your referring to this copy

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD ... 26yrh%3D1987%26yrl%3D1987

I don't think David Miller is in a great hurry to sell that book and would be pleased to get the asking price for it. However this book has been on sale for a long time at that price.

Do you still have the original box as this also signed by Christopher Tolkien?

The unsigned copies can be bought for about £400, I have seen some being offered at nearly £1000 as well though, and there are 4 times as many of the unsigned as signed, so on that basis alone £1500-£1600 would have seemed a good price.

Unfortunately would is the operative word for you, the credit crunch has inevitably had an impact on the higher priced Tolkien Books and someone who would have paid that a year ago will now have second thoughts.

You may be better off keeping the book for another couple of years, 2011 could be a good year for 'The Hobbit' books if a certain film comes out produced by Peter Jackson.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 6:38

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Thank you very much for your comments, Trotter.

That IS the book I was referring to, and you've certainly given me some food for thought. I have to admit, I found some unsigned copies and was staggered to see how much the asking price was for those and when I found THIS one I very nearly needed some smelling salts!

It is, sadly, the credit crunch that's made me think about selling the book in the first place.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 7:03

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I remember buying my copy, in 1999 (I shan't say how much it cost). It caused a bit of a stir at the time; because up till then it hadn't been generally known that CT had signed the first 100. A friend of mine wrote to Rayner Unwin, calling it 'a previously unrecorded variant', and got a nice letter in reply, saying that I was not to worry; he vaguely remembered sending Christopher a batch of labels to sign, and he supposed that must have been it!

:)

Posted on: 2009/3/9 15:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]