Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Sep, 2010
2010-9-5 10:35:30 AM UTC
I have seen the Silmarillion but never the Hobbit, but somehow I just know it also exists... just never had a chance to see it before.
5 Sep, 2010
2010-9-5 11:12:19 AM UTC
I added the following note to my previous post:

[Italics have been added for clarity to most of the above paragraphs, as they (originally) were clearly a mis-interpretation of what Beren said. Furthermore they were far too specific to the example Beren gave; the specifics of which I new nothing about --I should not have commented in this way. BH 5th Sept. 2010]

Btw, I suspect a Thornton's Silmarillion may surface fairly soon too...

BH
10 Sep, 2010
2010-9-10 6:25:05 PM UTC
New book up: http://collectingtolkien.blogspot.com ... arper-collins-deluxe.html and can we please get more than one 'follower' for the blog?! Whoever it is looks so lonely all by themselves!
10 Sep, 2010
2010-9-10 6:40:22 PM UTC
New book up: http://collectingtolkien.blogspot.com ... arper-collins-deluxe.html and can we please get more than one 'follower' for the blog?! Whoever it is looks so lonely all by themselves!

I don't think anyone here is the follower, as any comments from guide members have been made in this topic and not on your blog.
10 Sep, 2010
2010-9-10 6:48:23 PM UTC
Trotter - what a funny thing to assume! Whoever it is is likely to have at least read about it here, as I only posted here (and one other tolkien forum) and the follower joined that day. Possibly a lurker, but either way I am looking to double my followership ;)
10 Sep, 2010
2010-9-10 7:43:50 PM UTC
Why do you think or assume this is funny? I think you have missed my point, I don't think anyone here will follow you (whatever that means), but that members will post any views on this forum if they are so inclined.
10 Sep, 2010
2010-9-10 10:08:57 PM UTC
Being a 'follower' simply means that if you read the blog you click 'follow' and it emails you every time there is a new post. It would eliminate the need to check the blog or this thread numerous times to see when something new comes up. So, for example, you yourself posted it on this thread when the hurin super deluxe post went up. That means you would have had to look at the blog, and if there was nothing new up it would have been a wasted journey, one which could be avoided if you (or others) were a 'follower'.

I just find it funny that you guess on everyone's behalf that the follower is not from here, as in my own point of view they probably are, and although they can comment here they probably 'followed' to save numerous wasted trips to the blog or this thread to check for updates.
10 Sep, 2010
2010-9-10 10:56:50 PM UTC
Well, it isn't me!

I have another point to raise: bruffyboy wrote:

"The most annoying thing about the difference in heights is that the set becomes less desirable than the separate books which, on their own, look like very fancy one offs. _Indeed, most collectors do not seem to place the books next to each other, opting rather for a height based order rather than edition based._"

Really? I don't sort books according to height, and it hadn't occurred to me that others do, either. My de luxe editions of that ilk are together on the same shelf; variant heights and all I don't really mind the differences; I think of them as a minor detail (if I think of them at all).
11 Sep, 2010 (edited)
2010-9-11 6:09:56 AM UTC
I just find it funny that you guess on everyone's behalf that the follower is not from here, as in my own point of view they probably are, and although they can comment here they probably 'followed' to save numerous wasted trips to the blog or this thread to check for updates.

You can find this out yourself, but your followers name is telco and he posts on the very quiet forum set up and abandoned by HarperCollins (http://www.tolkienforum.co.uk/), not this site. I am still amazed that HC have not killed this forum.

So, for example, you yourself posted it on this thread when the hurin super deluxe post went up. That means you would have had to look at the blog, and if there was nothing new up it would have been a wasted journey, one which could be avoided if you (or others) were a 'follower'.

I used the RSS feed on your site, same as I use for every other website or blog, including this site, to check for new articles or news.

If people don't know about RSS feeds then you can use something like Google Reader (http://www.google.com/reader).

This tutorial may help if you are new to RSS feeds and how to best use them

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-9745368-2.html

As regards, the height difference, it does annoy me that they do not match, but I have all six next to each other on the shelf.
11 Sep, 2010
2010-9-11 7:10:41 AM UTC
Well you were right then Trotter! And I never even knew what RSS was, so now I do!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us