« 1 ... 84 85 86 (87) 88 89 90 ... 248 »

Re: The Wonders of eBay
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I love the description on this one, and the evaluations(sic) have slightly overpriced it.

Any description that includes the words (all the pages are flimsy) is worth a mention

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-R-Tolkien ... ction&hash=item2a18df6c74

Posted on: 2012/1/29 4:50

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I love the description on this one, and the evaluations(sic) have slightly overpriced it.

No slipcase, water (?) damage and I have to take a boat to pick it up. Anyway r.i.p. poor uncle.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 4:58

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Khamul wrote:
Now now garm --we don't want you starting on poor old AL (& EC/RL)...

BH

Ok, I'll do it then seeing as Garm has been put under house arrest for unauthorised MF bashing.

The book in question is undoubtedly a turd and AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another.

S.

** However, I do accept that art is a matter of taste, so I certainly won't be calling for RL to be locked-up when my dream of creating a totalitarian brave new world (controlled by me) comes to fruition. I would probably be sentencing her to 6 months community service, though. Cor Blok would even be allowed to help her.

Just Jokes - I actually quite like Cor Blok.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 5:16

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
It would be nice to know who is posting derogatory remarks about me instead of cowardly hiding behind a nickname. Have I offended you personally in some way or wronged you? Why not contact me direct and we'll have it out. I obviously don't want links posted to my FB page which lead back to such remarks. Facebook has changed how you can contact your fans which we paid a lot of money for in advertising on FB. The comment read, posting without prior permission. If other commercial organisations want to promote to our fans then they can help pay our advertising.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 5:25

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Stu wrote -

"AL & EC/RL do really deserve a bit of a bashing for this and all their infractions over the years. The art of RL (generally) is one such infraction** and [allegedly] reviewing their own books is, of course, another. "

Nothing alleged about it - Ruth/Elizabeth praised her own work in a letter to the bullettin of the Tolkien Society, Amon Hen (no.197, page 30.) Ruth is talking about Tom Bombadil and his place in Tolkien's writings, and finishes with:

'There's an excellent discussion of this (and much, much more...) in A. Lewis and E. Currie's book 'The Uncharted Realms of Tolkien', which has a chapter on Tom Bombadil... by far the longest , most detailed and thought-provoking analysis of the character that I have seen.
Yours, Ruth Lacon'.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 5:46

« 1 ... 84 85 86 (87) 88 89 90 ... 248 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.