50th Anniversary Deluxe Lord of The Rings
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hey Beren (and whomever else wants to chime in),

you mention still being able to get the Deluxe 50th Anniversary Lord of the Rings book from Amazon.co.uk in your Children of Hurin article on TolkienLibrary.com. (Is that enough links for one sentence, you think?)

On Wayne and Christina's website, they say "While working on the Companion and Guide we edited the 50th anniversary edition of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, with the approval of Christopher Tolkien, to ensure the most accurate version to date. This was published in 2004. A new printing, with further corrections and a new, much enlarged index, appeared in 2005." (The emphasis is theirs).

I'm assuming the currently available printings from Amazon are the revised edition. Has anyone bought both, and can compare the copyright statements? Is the 2005 restart with a new numberline and edition statement, or is it a second (or further) printing on the number line and some other edition modification statement?

Just curious. I only have printings of the 2004 edition, myself.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 21:43

Re: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Lord of The Rings
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
They are refering to the single editions of the 50th Anniversary volumes whcih were printed in 2005 (http://www.tolkienbooks.net/html/lotr ... umes_-_2002-presen_15.htm). They refer to corrections from the Deluxe Edition in the forward to the books.

Posted on: 2007/2/17 22:15

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks Trotter!

For some reason, my brain kept automatically inserting "Deluxe" into Wayne and Christina's website comment.

So, for the UK edition, (if I have this straight):

1. Deluxe 2004 HC 1 vol.
2. Trade 2004 HC 1 vol, same text as 1.
3. Trade 2005 PB 1 vol., corrected text and expanded index
4. Trade 2005 HC 3 vol, same as 3.
5. Trade 2005 PB 3 vol, same as 3 but the pagination is different, so the Reader's Companion doesn't line up correctly.

4. and 5. have had two impressions (at least), the rest are all single impressions only (including the deluxe editions still available on Amazon.co.uk).

Interesting that the deluxe edition, at 2500 copies (my source was an email from Wayne, agrees with Deagol's website) is still available at steep discount. While not super cheap, it is beautiful. I think if it had been released as a "limited edition of 2500" rather than just had 2500 copies printed, it would have sold through much faster. It also probably didn't help that the text was revised and the index expanded so soon, but the deluxe edition collector and the "needing the authoritative text" collector and the "buy Johnny a set for Christmas" folks are quite different people.

I think these will sell out soon after the Deluxe Children of Hurin hits the market and people want them all looking so nice next to each other on the shelf.

Posted on: 2007/2/18 11:22

Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I am a little suspicious about the 2004 Deluxe Edition lasting for so long. It used the same sheets as the standard trade edition, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have subsequently bound up more copies in the deluxe style.

Posted on: 2007/2/19 11:49

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
It was indeed strange... it sold out rather quickly on amazon and then showed up for sale again about 7 months ago... i thought it was rather strange indeed. Either they just printed so many that they did not sell all of them and now with the Children of Hurin want to get rid of them. Or they did something else...
They were looking for something they can call 'deluxe' but want to sell it as a mass product. To make a true deluxe edition, would have been too expensive I think. But how they managed to get more 'deluxe' lotr's and hobbits out there I don't know. Maybe just perfect marketing? Did they know they would sell Children of Hurin in this edition back then? And so kept some copies to sell right now?

Posted on: 2007/2/19 12:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]