2012-5-1 4:41:31 AM UTC

garm wrote:
Speaking of swords -

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: rhae8208
(5)
Ended May 6, 2012
This item ended more than 90 days ago

quote - "The Worlds last complete Collection of NEW (original packaging) Authentic licensed full United Cutlery Lord of the Rings set together for the last time on the planet for sale at one time!"

I can only hope..

Yep, there isn't a single one of those items that could be classified as a sword or that wouldn't break at the tang if you hit anything with it. Horrible things.
12 May, 2012
2012-5-12 10:05:12 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

For the, um, discriminating collector (another word occurred to me but this is a G rated site) the holy grail of the US HOME firsts are the Book of Lost Tales I copies that were printed in the UK - the first four thousand sets of sheets were imported. The other sheets were printed in the USA. There are surprisingly few of these in good shape floating around, as it seems that a large number were used as review copies or library copies, just based on anecdotal evidence and copies I have personally seen or handled.
Can someone explain how you would tell the difference of those printed in the UK? i can't find any information about this. The copy i have says "set in 11 on 12 point Imprint by Bedford Typesetters Ltd and printed in Great Britain by Mackays of Chatham". thanks
12 May, 2012
2012-5-12 10:22:54 PM UTC
For the first 4000 1st Impression Copies:

On the bottom of the Copyright Page - States "Printed in Great Britain" and underneath a numberline of "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1".

Also year "1984" printed at bottom of title page.

For later 1st Impression Copies:

Bottom of Copyright Page - States "Printed in the United States of America" with a number line of "S 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" (Note: Addition of letter "S")

No year "1984" printed at bottom of title page

Maybe there are other variants, but the above is info. from the 2 copies that I have.
12 May, 2012
2012-5-12 10:27:48 PM UTC
Peeta: - just re-read your post.

The copy you have is a UK Edition whereas the quote you referenced was in relation to the US Edition.
12 May, 2012
2012-5-12 10:59:08 PM UTC
ah, that's what it is. thanks remy. and for reference my American BOLT1 says first american edition 1984 at the top of the page but is otherwise like the first example. thanks for clearing that up for me!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us