Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Sep, 2014 (edited)
2014-9-14 4:29:23 PM UTC
Certain ebay sellers obviously love to appear in this thread, with the dross that they put out on every description.

A serial, repeat offender has listed another item 1973lee1973.

eBay Item #141399303024

"The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (sic)

worthy of any collection

would make an excellent addition to any collector / fans collection

The Fellowship Of The Ring - very early 1959 8th Impression - previous owners inscription to FEP, MAP present at back, minor spine lean, dustjacket price clipped and held together with tape as per pics.

The Two Towers - 1962 9th impression - small book shop sticker to REP, MAP present at back, Dustjacket not price clipped, minor spine lean

The Return Of The King - 1962 9th impression - loose spine (from page block), minor spine lean, MAP present, some marks to page edges, FEP,REP. Dustjacket not price clipped.

PLEASE also refer to the pictures as these form part of the descripiton by showing general condition of books. Marks, tears, nicks to Dust Jackets.

worth much more than the asking price - priced for a very quick sale

low starting price, this value only likely to increase with the film release (are we getting new LOTR films?)
"

If you look really, really carefully, you may be able to spot the "Marks, tears, nicks" to the dust jackets

10_5415c21be078f.jpg 1280X853 px

10_5415c22be55d3.jpg 1280X853 px
16 Sep, 2014 (edited)
2014-9-16 6:27:32 AM UTC
Why would anyone pay this kind of Money for HoME these days? I mean, GBP 3,724, Really???

Sil - 20 pounds
UT - 20 pounds
Books 1 - 9 - 30 pounds each (some maybe more, some a bit less)
Book 10 - 60 pounds (?)
Book 11 - 125 pounds
Book 12 - 150 pounds

So a realistic price would probably a grand total of GBP 600 to get a set of 1/1 HoME these days (a guess, but I don't think I'd be far off -- they are far cheaper than they used to be). I know there would be time to find them and cost of postage, but are there really buyers out there that would pay an extra 3,000 pounds just to save a bit of time and effort getting a set of books that aren't remotely rare?

I do think a lot of the professional sellers of Tolkien books take advantage of schmucks. A reasonable profit over and above the carrying cost of inventory is one thing, but I think some of the key players in this space push the boundaries of ethical business (And yes, I know no one is forced to buy).

eBay Item #230664046535
16 Sep, 2014
2014-9-16 11:18:03 AM UTC
Indeed, & that is the kind of price a set goes for...
eBay Item #271597594176

BH
16 Sep, 2014 (edited)
2014-9-16 1:02:53 PM UTC
Being a fanatical Silmarillion buyer & collector, I look at quite a lot of Silmarillion auctions/sales in (far too much?) detail; & I see these types of auctions quite regularly:
eBay Item #261595633809
Description:
The Silmarillion By J.R.R. Tolkien FirstEdition published by George Allen and Unwin 1977. RARE EXPORT COPY. Reckoned to be the True First Edition. There is no price on the inner flap and the wrapper has not been clipped. The book has been printed by WILLIAM CLOWES and Sons which is earlier than the Billings print. The Wrapper is in superb condition as it has been protected by a plastic wrapper. There is a tiny nick at the top of the spine and a minor crease. The cover is very clean with just slight browning on the top edge. I hope the photos do it justice a SUPERB wrapper. The book is even better. The pages are pure white with no hint of browning. The only fault I can find with it is a small bump on 2 corners. A First Issue copy authenticated by ERRORS Map is facing p121 ‘period‘ is missing p330 line 4 ‘Lord of Waters‘ and ‘King of the sea‘ in italics 7 lines from bottom of p.352. Now hard to find as most of them seem to have ended up in Canada. I am happy to take an OFFER
Looking past the inflated price (& the unmentioned faded/yellowing "Silmarillion" lettering on the spine), there are a few things which annoy me about this type of description. The seller states that this copy is "reckoned" to be the "True First Edition" i.e. the seller isn't willing to state categorically that this is, but is willing to use the term, to promote the item they're selling, nonetheless. In the context of the publication of The Silmarillion the term "true", if one chooses to use the term (I wouldn't), should be reserved for a copy which, at the very least, carries two features.

Firstly, it should have an unpriced dustjacket i.e. it should fit the description of a book not priced for the UK domestic market (ignoring the Book Club market for the moment; see later) in 1977. And secondly, it should retain both the Feanor and Ulmo errors (as cited by Hammond). This seller either misunderstands the nature of the Ulmo error; or deliberately (& not carefully enough, if one understands the error) misconstrues the error, by omitting the word "and" from the description of what appears in italics. For those unfamiliar with this, the "and" should also be in italics in order to qualify this copy as containing both these errors (that appeared in early impressions). If this copy has "Lord of Waters and King of the Sea" (bold is my emphasis) --then the Ulmo error has been corrected in this copy. And, therefore, this copy does not have the (assumed priority; see Hammond) earliest text with, amongst others, these two errors. Therefore... this is not a "true" first edition, if this word means much to you to begin with.

I'm also intrigued by the map positioning issue point cited. For a start, describing the map positioning in terms of "error" is problematic; as the situation is more complicated than this. But moving beyond this, I'm curious as to the source of this. In 2007 Neil Holford (Deagol) contacted me in regard to the positioning of the maps in the first edition of The Silmarillion; something I've probably mentioned on TCG before. We discussed this at length, & after examining various impressions Neil amended (or added detail to) some of the Silmarillion entries on Tolkienbooks.net; mainly to include detail about the differences between the map positioning between the first impressions printed by Billing and Clowes.

While making it clear that my own role in this "discovery" (since Neil contacted me initially & had clearly noticed that there were differences in the positioning of the map) was minimal (I merely examined the copies I had), I'd still like to ask whether anyone recalls whether sellers (& to a lesser extent collectors) cited map positioning, as an issue point, before Neil mentioned it? I've mentioned this before on this forum, but I genuinely do not recall anyone mentioning it prior to Neil documenting it on Tolkienbooks.net. It's now widely cited; but rarely is it acknowledged where sellers are deriving this information from; or, to be frank, whether they understand what this means, in terms of priority. I say this because Neil & myself discussed this at some length (very little of the minutiae, of what we discussed, appears on Tolkienbooks.net) & it's annoying that sellers use information to support sales, when they do not understand it. It has become another throwaway listing blurb for sellers in order to inflate the importance of the ordinary item they are trying to sell. That I played a small role in the dissemination of this information is, of course, why I have a personal interest in this particular Silmarillion issue point. However, I just wish they would cite/acknowledge Tolkienbooks.net as their source; unless, that is, they've derived this information from somewhere else. For a start, it absolves them of some of the responsibility for the claims they are making in their listings; something, you'd think, that some sellers would want.

And (going back to this listing specifically) although this is, again, far more complicated than what I'm about to state; the lack of dyed top page edges, combined with the fact that the boards look paper-covered (& not cloth-covered) & that this copy lacks headbands -- all suggest (assuming the Ulmo error is indeed corrected, & not present; as suggested by the listing) should make potential buyers doubt that this copy is a "true" first edition. It looks like a Clowes second state copy; more aligned to the Clowes BCA edition, than the Canadian-bound (destined for, that is) unpriced first state "export" edition. Again, if this matters at all to collectors/buyers.

Of course, I may be wrong...

BH
16 Sep, 2014
2014-9-16 9:32:15 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Indeed, & that is the kind of price a set goes for...
eBay Item #271597594176

BH

Mind you. that is an odd auction as the text claims that the books are Houghton Mifflin (and makes reference to a 4th printing of volume 12) and the picture shows the UK editions, including the Index. I wonder what the buyer eventually receives...
20 Sep, 2014
2014-9-20 12:42:33 PM UTC
eBay Item #281441985881

A very rare 1966 UK Hobbit, never seen one before priced at 95 pence in decimal currency.

10_541d762a49a60.jpg 286X114 px
21 Sep, 2014
2014-9-21 1:52:44 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
eBay Item #281441985881

A very rare 1966 UK Hobbit, never seen one before priced at 95 pence in decimal currency.

So a grubby looking nineteen-seventies Hobbit ISN'T worth 50 quid?? Who would have thought it?

Seriously though, there is a lot of crap like this on eBay at the moment, and less good stuff than I have ever seen.

I think building a decent collection from scratch would be borderline impossible at present. I wonder of it will improve once the final "Hobbit" abomination has been and gone from cinemas and the "temporary" collectors get bored and move onto the next fad?
23 Sep, 2014
2014-9-23 4:15:35 PM UTC
Photographs can be a powerful selling point...
eBay Item #311102916846

BH
23 Sep, 2014
2014-9-23 4:24:16 PM UTC
Spot the problem...
J.R.R. Tolkien - Morgoth's Ring.

The history of Middle Earth completed by Christopher Tolkien.

Never read, just stored on a shelf since 1991 so very slight yellowing to page edges.

I have more from the set on sale.
eBay Item #221555125622

BH
23 Sep, 2014
2014-9-23 5:36:29 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Spot the problem...
J.R.R. Tolkien - Morgoth's Ring.

The history of Middle Earth completed by Christopher Tolkien.

Never read, just stored on a shelf since 1991 so very slight yellowing to page edges.

I have more from the set on sale.
eBay Item #221555125622

BH

Nope. My 2037 100th Anniversary Edition of the Hobbit looks great on my bookshelf.

If you are a dedicated enough Tolkien Collector, you will always buy the books and have them on your shelves well in advance of their publication.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us