Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Apr, 2015
2015-4-16 8:40:03 PM UTC

Jlong wrote:
LOL "NO DUSTJACKET but in CUSTOM SLIP"

eBay Item #201328202553

I'm not sure why anyone would be trying to protect this worthless, ex-library copy.

The seller is Alan-53. That should be enough answer for you...
17 Apr, 2015
2015-4-17 7:57:21 AM UTC
Yes. A complete charlatan.
20 Apr, 2015
2015-4-20 2:11:59 AM UTC
Hate this guy's listing, no condition description but pages of awful rules. Who buys from these people?
24 Apr, 2015
2015-4-24 2:37:28 PM UTC
Here is another infamous listing by alan-53:

eBay Item #371303970214

"TREE and LEAF ~ JRR Tolkien ~ 1965 1st US HC ED ~ EXTREMELY RARE! ~ Tolkein"

"First Edition HC from 1965 ~ Fifth Printing"

Why are there 14 people watching this item?
3 May, 2015
2015-5-3 8:30:26 PM UTC
The Wonders of... Amazon.

BH

125_554685595992b.jpg 741X529 px
3 May, 2015
2015-5-3 9:37:48 PM UTC
I can't decide if this is deception or stupidity of the highest order from 1973lee1973:
eBay Item #141656456501
Clearly this is 2010 Print-on-demand HarperCollins edition. One would expect a guy who's been selling Tolkien books on eBay for nearly a decade to spot this...

The generic description is also hysterically vague:
VERY SOUGHT AFTER AND COLLECTABLE
Hardback Edition of THE PEOPLES OF MIDDLE EARTH
(being book 12 in The History of Middle Earth)
rarely seen for sale
worthy of any collection
and an absolute must for any collector
------
excellent condition, not price clipped, no inscriptions - see pics for further illustration of condition

I am selling all 12 books in the History Of Middle Earth series

would make an excellent addition to any collector / fans collection

worth much more than the asking price

low starting price, this value only likely to increase with the film release.
BH

125_5546958e765a3.jpg 768X1024 px
3 May, 2015 (edited)
2015-5-3 10:46:26 PM UTC
A willingness to let the customer deceive themselves, IMHO. Stops short of deception, as such, but still extremely bad form.
4 May, 2015
2015-5-4 12:48:39 AM UTC
On a side note, is it just me or is it really a bit silly to have a number line "1" on a POD title - when does a "new printing" get issued? As opposed to a new edition, or every copy of the book being numbered which would actually be pretty cool.
4 May, 2015
2015-5-4 12:57:19 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
On a side note, is it just me or is it really a bit silly to have a number line "1" on a POD title - when does a "new printing" get issued? As opposed to a new edition, or every copy of the book being numbered which would actually be pretty cool.

I've often thought the same thing. Makes no sense at all to have a numberline on a POD. I like the one on the first set of Indexes that is just a mass of randomly over-typed characters. At least that really does denote the first print, even if accidentally!
4 May, 2015 (edited)
2015-5-4 8:17:23 AM UTC
For what it is worth, the communications with the seller

Me:
"I think you should make it abundantly clear in the auction that this is the current Print on Demand edition (which can be purchased direct from HarperCollins for 50 pounds). Your price and description ("a rare chance", etc) seem designed to imply that this is the rarer and more valuable 1996 edition, whereas it isn't rare, and it isn't valuable. Salesmanship is one thing, but this feels like a dishonest auction to me, if not technically in contravention of any rules"

Reply:
"Hi, I have included a hi-res picture of the copywrite page. Both my listing and e-bay stress that any potential buyer should look at any photos as these form part of the description. The image clearly shows the year of print for all to see - after all how else did you see it? To me this seems pretty obvious. Though I have to admit I wasn't aware of any Print on Demand editions as I obtained the book as part of a set. I'm 100% positive that the listing does NOT contravene any E-bay policy and that with an image CLEARLY showing the print etc. I also don't see how this could be considered dishonest? It does clearly show the dates. does it not?
Thanks for the info. though.
Lee"

My Reply to him:
The reason I think it is somewhat dishonest is that a low value book that is currently available brand new (see tolkien.co.uk) is being passed off as a high-value book, collectible book. You have been selling Tolkien books long enough to know the difference, IMHO. Anyway, you must do what you must do, I guess.

For what it is worth, I don't think you are breaching any eBay policy, but it isn't something I would do, personally.

And further reply back:

"Hi, I wasn't even aware of the website tolkien.co.uk or the availability of those books. Useful info for which I am grateful. I rarely (in fact it's safe to say never) venture beyond e-bay! Of course I'm aware first impressions fetch more, I have amended my listings! Though still not reduced the prices by as much as you might approve of, they are at least lower and any hint of them being anything other than what they are toned down now that I am aware of their true availability. Thanks again, Lee"

So hopefully a reasonable result on the eBay Policing, and benefit of doubt can be given to seller.

Note (for posterity) that the seller did not add any text to the listing identifying the book as being a POD, and reduced the price to GBP 119, still two and a half times the price the book is currently available new. Some words were removed, however.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us