Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Feb, 2009
2009-2-23 1:37:33 PM UTC
I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but I didn't see anything like that when I had a quick look earlier.

At first glance, It just looks like a simple reprint of the 50th Anniversary Edition with a New Dustjacket Design.

From the Copyright Page, the Printing Number is 4. So basically a 4th Printing of the 1999 Edition with a New DJ stating 60th Anniversary.

I will have another look later.
23 Feb, 2009
2009-2-23 2:16:31 PM UTC
Just compared the 60th Anniv. to the 1st Printing of the 50th Anniv.

Same Size. Same binding except that the Gilt Design on the Front Cover of the 50th Edition is not present on the 60th.

Also the Gilt Titles on the Spine (including JRRT Logo) are larger on the 60th.

Text appears identical other than copyright page. No idea if any errors were corrected. Same number of pages etc. No Mention of 500 copies. Just the number 4 on the numberline.

So basically, it looks like a straightforward reprint with a New DJ. From the inside flap of the DJ it states 'This special edition, first published in 1999.......'
23 Feb, 2009
2009-2-23 6:32:00 PM UTC
That's interesting.

I wonder what HC will do when the 'limited' copies are sold.

Are they going to use the 50th Edition cover again with impression number 5 and above, or more likely sell the book with the new cover as impression 5?
25 Feb, 2009
2009-2-25 5:35:14 AM UTC
I'm also assuming that the 'bizarre' reason that this book is not featured at all on tolkien.co.uk, is that Harper Collins have to take the site down for a week every time they make a change to it.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us