Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 12:30:17 PM UTC
Great photos, Trotter. Those give us a better idea of the actual color. These books tend to be real tricky to photograph. Flash really seems to make them look lighter than they are.

So, it looks like HC's marketing of this book must have worked fairly well. If Stu got #30 at 10:00AM, and Trotter got #73 at noon, then they were selling at a pretty decent pace. My order was placed at 2:00AM on the 21'st (due to the delay for U.S. ordering), so I am quite a way behind you guys. I think I will be quite lucky to get a number less than 120.

I know I was skeptical as to how many "pre-orders" were taken. However, it seems possible that they may have sold a couple hundred just in the first 2 days.

Anyone else get their copy yet?
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 12:32:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the pictures, Trotter. The ribbon attachment does look a bit daft. Seems like it more about show than function. Also, it's a pity they didn't manage to match the size of the books and traycases a little better (I really don't understand why getting the height of traycases, slipcases, etc to match seems so hard!)

Overall, not a bad looking book, but IMHO not a patch on the SD CoH (which I still think looks fantastic). I think it might have looked a little better with a second color on the front-cover foil stamping to break the monotony of 1970s brown a little.

Stu
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 12:33:49 PM UTC
If Stu got #30 at 10:00AM, and Trotter got #73 at noon, then they were selling at a pretty decent pace.

Not guilty, it was Deagol that got number 30
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 1:09:55 PM UTC
I noticed another difference, the Tray Case for the Children of Hurin is Morocco (i.e. Goatskin leather), but for the Legend of Sigurd and Gudren it appears to be Cow leather, the grain is much bigger and if you look at my first photo at full resolution you will see the difference. Morocco is more expensive than Leather from Cows, so it looks like someone in HarperCollins was trying to save money on this book.

I am thinking about complaining to HarperCollins about the pull-out ribbon as the design on the Super Deluxe COH works perfectly, so if anyone can explain how the new desisgn works, then please post here (I believe that the ribbon needs to be longer to work from its attached position, it is below the book currently).

Andrew
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 4:06:52 PM UTC
Sorry, Stu. My mistake regarding #30. However, if I recall, you were fortunate enough to land #3 of the Super Deluxe Children of Hurin. Were you as lucky this time around?
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 8:36:27 PM UTC
I haven't opened mine from bubblewrap yet ( ), but it looks like it's #71 (from the label on the box) -and I ordered at about 3:20 in the afternoon. Go figure...

BH
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 10:06:23 PM UTC
>Sorry, Stu. My mistake regarding #30. However, if I recall, you were fortunate enough to land #3 of the Super Deluxe Children of Hurin. Were you as lucky this time around?

Yes, I was quite quick off the mark on the CoH SD, but not so this time. Even if I had put in an order when the website first came on line (I didn't), I'm not convinced it would have yielded a really low number. I suspect anyone who got a low number would have ordered the day before via the phone. And that's assuming that they are even being that accurate about number allocation. This time around I don't think they have even stated that the books will be sold in sequence. From some of the comments here relating to numbers and order times, it looks like perhaps they are not entirely sequential. And for all we know, they might have held onto the first 10 (or more).
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 10:24:15 PM UTC
Sounds a bit concerning that you don't want to pull the lift-out ribbon because you are worried it might come off. Is that just good old-fashioned paranoia, or do you have cause to think it might not be strongly constructed?

It is just my paranoia. It is well put together. I have just given it a good tug and it is still in one piece!! For those that haven't seen one yet, the ribbon lifts up a hinged flap inside the clamshell raising the book up out of its protective coccon, which is a much closer fit than with CoH, so no rattling around.
30 May, 2009
2009-5-30 4:31:47 AM UTC

Deagol wrote:
Sounds a bit concerning that you don't want to pull the lift-out ribbon because you are worried it might come off. Is that just good old-fashioned paranoia, or do you have cause to think it might not be strongly constructed?

It is just my paranoia. It is well put together. I have just given it a good tug and it is still in one piece!! For those that haven't seen one yet, the ribbon lifts up a hinged flap inside the clamshell raising the book up out of its protective coccon, which is a much closer fit than with CoH, so no rattling around.

I missed this, it works fine on my copy.
4 Jun, 2009
2009-6-4 10:27:50 PM UTC

alpingloin wrote:

So, it looks like HC's marketing of this book must have worked fairly well. If (Deagol) got #30 at 10:00AM, and Trotter got #73 at noon, then they were selling at a pretty decent pace. My order was placed at 2:00AM on the 21'st (due to the delay for U.S. ordering), so I am quite a way behind you guys. I think I will be quite lucky to get a number less than 120.

Well, I just got my copy today, and surprisingly, I got #41. I now have #35 CoH and #41 S&G. Almost a match!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us