Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 8:36:27 PM UTC
I haven't opened mine from bubblewrap yet ( ), but it looks like it's #71 (from the label on the box) -and I ordered at about 3:20 in the afternoon. Go figure...

BH
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 10:06:23 PM UTC
>Sorry, Stu. My mistake regarding #30. However, if I recall, you were fortunate enough to land #3 of the Super Deluxe Children of Hurin. Were you as lucky this time around?

Yes, I was quite quick off the mark on the CoH SD, but not so this time. Even if I had put in an order when the website first came on line (I didn't), I'm not convinced it would have yielded a really low number. I suspect anyone who got a low number would have ordered the day before via the phone. And that's assuming that they are even being that accurate about number allocation. This time around I don't think they have even stated that the books will be sold in sequence. From some of the comments here relating to numbers and order times, it looks like perhaps they are not entirely sequential. And for all we know, they might have held onto the first 10 (or more).
29 May, 2009
2009-5-29 10:24:15 PM UTC
Sounds a bit concerning that you don't want to pull the lift-out ribbon because you are worried it might come off. Is that just good old-fashioned paranoia, or do you have cause to think it might not be strongly constructed?

It is just my paranoia. It is well put together. I have just given it a good tug and it is still in one piece!! For those that haven't seen one yet, the ribbon lifts up a hinged flap inside the clamshell raising the book up out of its protective coccon, which is a much closer fit than with CoH, so no rattling around.
30 May, 2009
2009-5-30 4:31:47 AM UTC

Deagol wrote:
Sounds a bit concerning that you don't want to pull the lift-out ribbon because you are worried it might come off. Is that just good old-fashioned paranoia, or do you have cause to think it might not be strongly constructed?

It is just my paranoia. It is well put together. I have just given it a good tug and it is still in one piece!! For those that haven't seen one yet, the ribbon lifts up a hinged flap inside the clamshell raising the book up out of its protective coccon, which is a much closer fit than with CoH, so no rattling around.

I missed this, it works fine on my copy.
4 Jun, 2009
2009-6-4 10:27:50 PM UTC

alpingloin wrote:

So, it looks like HC's marketing of this book must have worked fairly well. If (Deagol) got #30 at 10:00AM, and Trotter got #73 at noon, then they were selling at a pretty decent pace. My order was placed at 2:00AM on the 21'st (due to the delay for U.S. ordering), so I am quite a way behind you guys. I think I will be quite lucky to get a number less than 120.

Well, I just got my copy today, and surprisingly, I got #41. I now have #35 CoH and #41 S&G. Almost a match!
5 Jun, 2009
2009-6-5 1:31:38 AM UTC
Odd that they still haven't put any proper pictures up on the website showing the book. I would have thought that the super-deluxes need a bit of power-selling with nice pictures, etc. They did that initially with CoH, but haven't done so at all with S&G. I can't see there being *that* many people willing to part with 250 pounds sight unseen. I think it will probably grow on me, but I liked the look of the CoH SD so much that this one had a lot to live up to and it just doesn't quite hit the spot (albeit a very nice book).
5 Jun, 2009
2009-6-5 1:23:19 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
I liked the look of the CoH SD so much that this one had a lot to live up to and it just doesn't quite hit the spot.

I completely agree, Stu. I had copies of the two books out for comparison last night. Unfortunately, some of the points that differentiate the standard Deluxe editions (since HC switched printers from LEGO Spa to Clays Ltd), have apparently been carried over into the Super Deluxe Editions as well. The construction of the new S&G just doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the CoH and I really dislike the flat spine. It is not as attractive, and just doesn't feel as nice in your hands. The CoH had nicer leather (morocco), the hinges functioned better, the sewn binding seemed tougher, the raised spine ribs were more pronounced, and the red and gold foil stamping gave the book a very striking appearance. While I don't mind the S&G clamshell color (it is a nice rich, rusty brown), the color scheme of the book itself is very drab and dull, and the single color gold stamping does little to highlight or contrast the creamy beige leather. The book design does little to invoke the feeling of an epic Norse legend, or any sort of Viking toughness. (I will point out that I actually like the ribbon and hinged panel system inside the new clamshell (for removing the book), and in my case, it functions well enough.)

Stu wrote:
Odd that they still haven't put any proper pictures up on the website showing the book.

Perhaps this lack of showcasing is intentional. Unless they employ some trick lighting (again), images of this book are unlikely to have collectors reaching for their credit cards (IMHO).
6 Jun, 2009
2009-6-6 12:12:55 AM UTC
Alpingloin:
The construction of the new S&G just doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the CoH and I really dislike the flat spine. It is not as attractive, and just doesn't feel as nice in your hands. The CoH had nicer leather (morocco), the hinges functioned better, the sewn binding seemed tougher, the raised spine ribs were more pronounced, and the red and gold foil stamping gave the book a very striking appearance. While I don't mind the S&G clamshell color (it is a nice rich, rusty brown), the color scheme of the book itself is very drab and dull, and the single color gold stamping does little to highlight or contrast the creamy beige leather.

I agree with all of the above. I actually really like the colour and texture of the traycase, but the colour of the book itself is just bland. I guess little things make all the difference on the construction, and this book has many little differences, of which none seem to be improvements. On the CoH, the stamping of the JRRT on the back (and on the traycase) is very deep, but on S&G it almost looks painted on because there is no indentation whatsoever into the leather.

When I look at the CoH it feels solid, sharp, textured and well defined. The S&G just feels.... vague.

I don't want to be overly negative, I do think it is a nice book, but I think last time we got something really special (as we should have for 350 pounds!!) and this time we only got something ordinary (and even "just" 250 pounds should be a cut above ordinary).
6 Jun, 2009
2009-6-6 2:56:22 PM UTC
Just up on Ebay....

This is copy #10 of the Super Deluxe S&G, with an original drawing by Sanderson inside. The seller also claims that this is copy "10 of only 250". Is there something I have missed, or is this a typo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JRR-Tolkien-Sigur ... %3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50
6 Jun, 2009
2009-6-6 7:15:15 PM UTC
Calligraphic_collectables comissioned 39 illustrated copies from Bill Sanderson: 25 standard copies; 10 slipcased copies; and 4 deluxe copies. (eBayer bigfootcomic bought 7 standard & 3 slipcased copies from Calligraphic_collectables.)

All the standard & slipcased copies have the same illustration in them, with '5th May' and Sanderson's signature. The deluxe editions are illustrated differently; not sure if all four are individually unique tho', since this is the first time I've seen one. The deluxe's (obviously) where not sketched on the 5th; however the rest probably were (or thereabouts).

Almost all were pre-sold. Calligraphic_collectables has only sold some standard copies to date on eBay I think (no slipcased copies). Presumably this is the only deluxe one likely to be sold, unless any of the owners move them on very quickly.

The seller (to my knowledge) was in pretty early with his order by phone. He was certainly talking about the deluxe on the Monday (the 18th), before I'd heard anything; so no surprise he has such a low number. '250' is just typo...

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us