Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 2:36:04 PM UTC
What a fantastically interesting idea Trotter. Remove the "fans" though. The Commitee of Tolkien Book Collectors sounds better; or perhaps The Council of Tolkien Book Collectors; or The Tolkien Book Collectors Guild...

BH
8 May, 2009
2009-5-8 4:44:45 PM UTC
If anyone reading this has any HC contacts, I have already suggested that they set up a commitee of Tolkien Fans (from this board) which they speak to about new issues, the web site tolkien.co.uk (which is very poor, how to improve, etc.) and anything else, I really think that having feedback from 100% Tolkien Fans would help the company.

I wish someone from HarperCollins would post on this board to discuss the issues that are raised.

I will nudge those forum members who work for HC to post directly, but I have a feeling they prefer anonymity. Good points raised though, and I will follow up via email and see if I can get some feedback!
9 May, 2009
2009-5-9 2:54:09 AM UTC
>I will nudge those forum members who work for HC to post directly, but I have a feeling they prefer anonymity. Good points raised though, and I will follow up via email and see if I can get some feedback!

Vaguely off topic, but I must admit, I have lost interest in trying to fix the problems with HC. After I had the issue with them sending my set of deluxes to the wrong address (and then wrongly claiming it was my mistake!), I ordered a couple more books, which they then sent to the correct address, but they only included half the street name, and missed the suburb entirely. After bouncing around Australia, I eventually got the (inadequately packed) parcel of scuffed, fingerprinted (at source), bumped books. I only received them at all because the parcel had my registered company name on it. They then proceeded to send the invoice to the delivery address.... I couldn't even be bothered to chase it up with them, as it was a GBP 30.00 order and I smoothed out the bumped corners to an acceptable level and used an eraser gently to get rid of the scuffs/marks.

They have had at least one aspect of the addressing wrong on 3 out of 4 orders. Other than ordering something like the super-deluxe editions, I wouldn't consider dealing with them again, as it is just too much hassle. They seem to be utterly incompetent at every level, from the dismal website right through to order fulfilment. At least buying from Amazon, you know you can get the problem resolved easily if something goes wrong, but with HC you need to make phone calls to Scotland (as they ignore their email).

On the plus side, their postage is cheap, but that's about it.

Stu
10 May, 2009
2009-5-10 10:15:46 PM UTC
Poor old HarperCollins. At least they have the sense to publish a fine author. Altho' (Stu) you'd probably prefer if Tolkien was in someone else's stable!?

Jeremy, who are these secretive infiltrators anyway? That Brawn no doubt...

BH
11 May, 2009
2009-5-11 3:25:12 AM UTC
>Altho' (Stu) you'd probably prefer if Tolkien was in someone else's stable!

Nah, I don't mind them THAT much :) They seem to - for the most part - do a reasonable job of producing the actual books (certainly as well as any other publisher would these days). They just need to stop pretending to be a retailer, as they just haven't really got the skills or the systems to be one. And they need to shoot the guy who does their "website" (inverted commas purely because it isn't a website, so much as an online catalog with a payment provider link).

Once they have shot him, they need to reanimate him and shoot him again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us