Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

30 Jun, 2011
2011-6-30 8:58:55 AM UTC
>The Book Depository prices seem to have gone up. The cheapest UK price for the Pb still seems to be on Amazon, currently available to pre-order

A good thing to remember with the Book Depository is that their prices not only vary between their ".com" and ".co.uk" domains, but they also price-discriminate based on the IP address of the browser. This is how they claim to have "Free shipping". It isn't, they simply roll it into the price they show to you based on where they think you will *most likely* be delivering to.

Essentially this means that if your IP Address (or the IP Address of your proxy) is a UK one (at the time you add your first item into the basket), you will generally get a lower price than if you are somewhere else in the world. Sometimes the difference can be quite significant.

(It also means that if you live in the UK and work for a multinational that has proxies in the US, and you order from work, you might be getting inadvertently screwed!)

The other thing with BD is that you can pretty much always wangle a 10% discount voucher.

S.
30 Jun, 2011
2011-6-30 6:42:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the lesson Stu!
Does it beat Amazon's £14.96 at any point though?

BH
30 Jun, 2011
2011-6-30 10:42:37 PM UTC
>Does it beat Amazon's £14.96 at any point though?

Nah, that's the thing with the online book stores - you really have to shop around as they change their prices every 5 minutes and are inconsistent in their pricing relative to each other.

A good Tolkien example that I noticed the other day was with the rather overpriced Oliphaunt Poster. Amazon - GBP 99, BD (".com" with UK IP and usual 10% discount code) - GBP 57.60. Yet you look at the 3 volume HoME books and they are *much* more expensive on BD than Amazon. Go figure...
1 Jul, 2011
2011-7-1 12:47:01 PM UTC
My copy arrived today from the Book Depository (£14.96 with free UK delivery), looking forward to reading it

Still trying to work out who the famous reviewer, Brian Henderson, is on the back of the book
1 Jul, 2011
2011-7-1 7:46:59 PM UTC
Indeed. People, if they even read the blurb, are going to be like Who the hell is...? --& rightly so. It's not like I review books regularly or anything. Doug had his reasons I suspect; or rather, had his reasons for not quoting some other reviews...

BH
2 Jul, 2011
2011-7-2 12:57:48 AM UTC
>Indeed. People, if they even read the blurb, are going to be like Who the hell is...? --& rightly so.

Ahh, you do yourself a disservice - Even I know who you are (sort of), and I'm all the way out here in the colonies !!

Stu.
16 Jul, 2011
2011-7-16 11:06:25 AM UTC
Should have just ordered my copy from BD, since Amazon still don't have this in stock, and have pushed the despatch date back to August...

BH
16 Jul, 2011
2011-7-16 11:27:56 AM UTC
I got my copy from the Book Depository so you should get a copy
16 Jul, 2011
2011-7-16 3:32:18 PM UTC
I'm slightly confused. When I go to Book Depository it's still down as "pre-order", with 1st August as publication day. "16 days to go" it declares...

Book Depository: Arda Reconstructed

Am I looking in the wrong place or something?

BH
17 Jul, 2011
2011-7-17 5:54:58 AM UTC
I think they have not updated the website.

Email on the 26th June from the Book Depository Ltd

"Your pre order is in

Dear Andrew,

I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher.

Book title Quantity Item price Total
Arda Reconstructed 1 14.96 14.96

This book will be dispatched to you in the next few days. Should you wish to track your order, you can do so by following the link below:
www.bookdepository.co.uk/track
Thank you for pre-ordering your book with The Book Depository.
Thanks again for your order,
Kieron

Kieron Smith
The Book Depository Ltd."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us