Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Festival in the Shire (August 2010)

25 Oct, 2009
2009-10-25 10:21:17 PM UTC

Anyone any thoughts on this Collector's Exposition, the guests (thus far) etc ?

FESTIVAL in the SHIRE

BH
26 Oct, 2009
2009-10-26 8:10:48 AM UTC
I'd thought about attending but the prices have put me off, to see the conference and the Tolkien items you are looking at about £250.

Then add travel and accommodation costs, for me another £250 at least and I live in the UK. I'm unlikely to attend.

The guest list does look interesting though.
30 Oct, 2009
2009-10-30 4:41:25 AM UTC
£250 does seem rather expensive. That would be well over $400 for me just for the conference. I think I'd rather spend the money visiting Oxford and thereabouts.
30 Oct, 2009
2009-10-30 9:36:33 AM UTC
Too rich for my blood. And, I'm a bit hazy as to what might be on show in the exhibition/sorry, exposition. The admission price for that alone is outrageously high; esp. when there's two of you. And kids' admission costs the same.

Nope; I'll have to pass on this one. Which is a pity, given the list of speakers.
30 Oct, 2009
2009-10-30 9:41:21 AM UTC
Jusr noticed the advert. for the exposition is itself a work in progress. Originally it promised books by Tolkien and original art and memorabilia. Implying original art by Tolkien, which we know ain't gonna happen - we know it meant 'original art from the books, by other artists. Now, in an attempt to clarify, we get this:

"Exposition attendees will also have an exciting opportunity to meet the artists themselves and learn more about their work. Exposition attendees will also have an exciting opportunity to meet some of the artists themselves and learn more about their work."

We're getting there...
2 Nov, 2009
2009-11-2 3:47:19 PM UTC
Yeh, I thought what with the expense of travelling, that £250 odd is a bit too expensive. Much better to go to Andy Compton's Moreton event with £250 in your back pocket!

The list of speakers is very interesting though. I hope it doesn't grow anymore impressive, especially with more US based academics who we see over here pretty infrequently (understandably). Wayne and Christina better not sign up!...

BH
2 Nov, 2009
2009-11-2 10:19:29 PM UTC
Is that likely, do we suppose?
2 Nov, 2009
2009-11-2 10:46:39 PM UTC
Here's hoping not or else I'll have to start saving...

BH
3 Nov, 2009
2009-11-3 1:02:01 PM UTC
Is that likely, do we suppose?

Given the cost of transatlantic travel, on top of the conference/festival/exposition cost, accommodations, etc., no, not likely.

Wayne & Christina
5 Nov, 2009
2009-11-5 1:49:41 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm Mark Faith, the organiser of Festival in the Shire: A celebration of all things Tolkien inspired. I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

The conference ticket cost £150 if purchased before January 1st, £200 after. This is quite a normal price for a high quality academic conference in the UK, maybe a bit cheape actually!

The collectors expo is £40 or £60 for a one days entrance or £100 for a three day pass. It will have many of the same speakers, authors and artist and its own discussion sessions. In comparison to similar past events, appropriately priced. The private collection has more than 5000 pieces of which 200 are original works of art (no not Tolkien) and 500+ prints. However, we can't show everything so will select a choice selection of interest to all collectors/fans including many you won't see at another public event. Some people will want to spend a short time, others to come and go over the three days. Authors will be releasing new books signing and you'll have the chance to meet them.

Finally, the £10-£40 (for a pass) general admission will have film, music , food and fun including used book and memoribilia stalls. We are expecting numerous special guest for autographs. Watch this space on who is coming!

The 3 day VIP pass for £235 which lets you into everything is like going to three events at one time and we feel a bargain in that respect. Yes, travel will be expensive but its is a unique event never held before.

Travelers always translate prices to their own currency not realising the same unit of currency usually has the same relative purchasing value in the respective country. £235 pounds is the same as $235 dollars in the UK scheme of things. UK isn't expensive, US is just a cheaper. Sorry we couldn't hold the first event in the US, maybe the following year!

Mark

509_4af22ea974ed9.jpg 1181X1181 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us