Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Nov, 2009
2009-11-9 10:04:18 AM UTC
Not that this side discussion matters a jot (the bibliographical enquiry is of the uppermost importance here!...), but I take it the original auction (for £220) was for the same books? (With no 'Sold for' I take it this was unsold & relisted? -sometimes a little unclear with old eBay auctions.)

Last copy I have noted is October this year; that set went for £87. And before that (I'm looking back in my notebook quite far here...) looks like June 2008: £36! I seem to remember bidding on that one...

Anyway, hope those prices make you feel better! Having said all this, there really are still some bargains to be had on old eBay; probably even more if we weren't all bidding against each other! Ahh, for the days, when you could see who you were bidding against. Still, the 'wonders' of eBay are far more wonderful (in price terms) than anything on Abebooks...

Apologies for the interuption, do go on...

BH
9 Nov, 2009
2009-11-9 12:29:16 PM UTC
Our set is also 11.2 cm wide. It was bought in London, and Christina assumes that she got it as soon as it reached the shops.

Do both variants give the printing location as Glasgow, as ours does? Do both have the GBP14.99 price on the jacket flaps? Was the wider variant perhaps made for an overseas market, or for a book club edition, and separately printed? It seems less likely that HarperCollins would change the dimensions of binding cases and slipcase partway through the run, and more likely that the variants represent separate manufactures.

I'm wondering what caused the 0.7 cm difference in width. Thicker paper? Thicker boards?

Wayne
9 Nov, 2009
2009-11-9 1:31:28 PM UTC
Thinking about the fact that all the copies (up to now) that anyone has seen are the smaller widths, could the larger set be a HarperCollins Proof set which was subsequently rejected for the smaller size slipcase.

The books are all priced and both the covers and bindings are identical apart from width. I don't have them in front of me at the moment but the internal printed sheets looked identical, but I'll check them again.

I'm going to measure the width of each of the books tonight, difficult as there is not much difference in size.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us