Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Aug, 2013
2013-8-3 9:49:32 AM UTC
And it still is! suman, the blog & TC are still very much alive. I don't think money ever had anything to do with it.

BH
3 Aug, 2013
2013-8-3 2:00:28 PM UTC
There are various stories as to why it folded

We must have missed those stories. As Khamûl says, The Tolkien Collector is still around, just very "occasional". No. 32 was published at the end of 2011; no. 33 is finally "in press" (in our laser printer) and will be published soon. Since The Tolkien Collector appears so infrequently, due to the press of other things to do (and because we have to write most of it ourselves - articles and notes would be welcome!), we've decided that it will be more fair to offer it on a per-issue basis than to continue to accept subscriptions - though all existing subscriptions will be honoured for as long as each of them lasts. Details can be found on our website, at http://www.hammondandscull.com/collect.html.

As keen bibliographers are you particularly fickle about condition? (F/F please!), or will you compromise on condition to gather information? i.e. buy a book in less than 'collectable' condition

We prefer fine condition when we can get it, but are realists when it comes to very rare or expensive items, or when an opportunity presents itself and we can pick up something for reference, hoping to upgrade later.

do any particular aspects of some items cause particular problems in terms of storage?; how do you deal with preservation? (dj covers, protecting from light [I see a window!], airing shelves, climate control [temperature & humidity], & housekeeping generally); how much 'maintenance' does the collection require? etc etc.

Every dust-jacket gets an archival (acid-free paper and Mylar) cover. Every pamphlet gets an archival (acid-free, non-adhesive) binder or envelope. Magazines go into archival boxes of various sizes. Audio materials go into boxes as well. Wayne has constructed boxes for some of our more fragile paperbacks, using archival board and Velcro coins. Manuscript material goes into archival folders and boxes.

Yes, there are windows; there are also heavy drapes. "Climate control" is handled mainly by Mother Nature - no air conditioning in our house, but we have a good dehumidifier in our basement. Dusting is done every now and then.

Hmm, maybe we'll write a blog post on this subject. We wrote "Caring for Your Tolkien Collection" for Tolkien Collector no. 18 in 1998, and could update that.

Wayne & Christina
3 Aug, 2013
2013-8-3 7:43:58 PM UTC
I would love to see an update to your article from Tolkien Collector no. 18! A long time ago you did give permission for me to reprint the original article online, here is the link:

Caring For Your Tolkien Collection
4 Aug, 2013
2013-8-4 11:13:13 AM UTC
A long time ago you did give permission for me to reprint the original article online

So we did! Not much will have changed since its original publication (1998), but no doubt something more could be said.

Wayne & Christina
4 Aug, 2013
2013-8-4 12:37:10 PM UTC
How is your other work going, Wayne and Christina? The "What We're Writing" section of your website hasn't been updated recently.

- wellinghall
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us