Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 10:00:31 AM UTC
Andrew
Sorry about that link- not sure what went wrong.

Well spotted Garm - What a shame to ruin a rare item which may have made a couple of £100 on a good day with a poor signature!
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 12:46:12 PM UTC
I looked at the article and this Fellowship is the wrong impression, if it was one of the rare copies it would be the 9th instead of the 10th impression. This is a copy of A&U edition married with a Reader's Union dustwrapper and a fake signature. I reported this seller again to eBay.
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 1:25:16 PM UTC
We may also send your report to the rights owner for review. -eBay

This also seems slightly pointless. Are they going to send all this crap to Christopher, and ask him if he thinks it's genuine?

I have to admit, I don't look at most of this stuff now, so don't get that annoyed by it. But maybe I should start reporting (something I've never done.) It's all (in the long term) damaging for the collecting community.

Maybe, if Trotter's private forum idea is set up, we can have an official discuss (& assuming it's an agreed fake) & report, where everyone makes an effort to report the item/seller; keeping tabs on regular fakers, and petitioning eBay to have their accounts closed (for all it's worth.)

BH
13 Jan, 2010
2010-1-13 3:45:59 PM UTC
Just noticed this sellar has now changed description of item to highlight sold as seen type approach. Not enough in my mind and it shouldnt even be offered for sale.
I have reported to ebay for what its worth
14 Jan, 2010
2010-1-14 5:13:09 AM UTC
I reported it as well.

Frankly, I'm a bit fed up with all these fake items. If you think it is a fake, please do the same.
14 Jan, 2010
2010-1-14 9:48:22 AM UTC
Okay, I've reported it. I think Trotter's previous post (in Tolkien Signature) contains the best advice about how to report. (Counterfeits and copyright violations > Bootlegs and counterfeit media > Counterfeit autographs) In the free type section I merely typed "The signature is a forgery".

Incidentally, Laurel you are responsible for starting all these seperate threads (& discussions)! (This is getting silly!!!!!! & Tolkien Signature)

We should perhaps restrict discussion to the two original (Jlong) threads (including any new eBay listings under suspicion), to avoid all these multiple threads discussing (essentailly) the same thing:

Another Tolkien eBay Letter -for letters
Tolkien Signatures on eBay??? -for any other signatures

I've gone link mad! Off to report all those silly letters...

BH
14 Jan, 2010
2010-1-14 11:37:03 AM UTC

Fair cop
I was so annoyed at seeing this latest sale i lost my common sense
and should have done under previous thread

19 Jan, 2010
2010-1-19 6:53:18 PM UTC
Thread, no thread. Replies, no replies. I feel like Oogway in Kung Fu Panda. :)

I can create a subforum specifically for eBay item reporting if we want. We want?
19 Jan, 2010
2010-1-19 7:51:08 PM UTC
Sounds like a good idea Jeremy
At least we could all post and it would central in one file
19 Jan, 2010
2010-1-19 8:40:39 PM UTC
I'd like a forum that we can say this item is a fake, please report to eBay, the more reports the better.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us