Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Re: UK HOME Hardback Reissues
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hello Mr Burns
Maybe ebay worth a look. You could easily pick up books 1-8 very reasonable if not first impressions and in good condition if you shop around and be patient. Even 2-8 firsts regularly go for less than £40 subject to condition. Books 9-12 are a little more tricky but maybe with some nice hot tea in you it will ease the purse strings! :.) i spent the last 3 years building up my set and still would like to change 1 or 2 - guess thats the fun of it.
Maybe HC will have a sale if future !

Posted on: 2010/4/13 23:24

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
On tolkien.co.uk all I keep getting is Commerce Server Error when trying to buy the new HoME Index...

BH

Posted on: 2010/4/16 13:51

Just popping in
From Cheshire, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi laurel

Thanks for the advice. As you suggest, shopping around for early impressions via various sources is the option I've chosen. I imagine this will take several years, but it will be more fun that way (the hunt) and at least it won't be a single large sum coming out of my pocket at once.

For the record, here's the reply I received from HC when asking what discount was offered on the complete set:

---

Dear Mr Burns

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Harper Collins regarding the Tolkien print on demand series.

We are happy to offer you a 10% discount when ordering the whole series of 13 titles. The total of the order would therefore be £468.00 plus free delivery to UK.

As these are print on demand titles these books get made on a customers request, therefore the delivery time is roughly 28 working days.

Can you please advise if you wish to order these titles.

Kind regards
Michelle

---

Needless to say, I thanked Michelle but chose not to order at this time. Perhaps I'll order the hardback Index one day, but I think looking for copies already out there is a better way forward.

Anyone have favourite haunts for seeking out the HoME series? My plan was going to involve lots of Google, Amazon, Ebay and garage/yard/car boot sales. I'd be surprised to find something of this calibur in a bargain book shop.

Posted on: 2010/4/16 14:11

Balrogs DON'T have wings!

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
£468 - a bargain - mmmm
Oxfam sometimes have some odd copies for sale at reasonable prices but i think you will find ebay best bet. There is a nice set 1-9 i think up at moment - not sure what reserve is but certainly cheaper thans £468.

I too was having problems buying the index on Friday - gave up will try again later /tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/4/16 23:36

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Khamul wrote

On tolkien.co.uk all I keep getting is Commerce Server Error when trying to buy the new HoME Index... BH

I bought the book this morning through the site so it seems to have been fixed, 28 days for delivery, be interesting to see what it is like.

I also cancelled my Amazon order for the HoME Index.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 22:13

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]