Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

31 Mar, 2010
2010-3-31 8:05:53 PM UTC
Of course it isn't; I don't know what came over me there! Now changed.

- wellinghall
31 Mar, 2010
2010-3-31 8:16:21 PM UTC
A great edition of this wonderful fantasy classic by JRR Tolkien, author of The Lord of the Rings. This is the first deluxe edition, published by George Allen & Unwin in 1976; ie it is the first impression of this edition. Bound in black cloth, it has a multi-cloured dragon on the front. However, please note that this copy lacks the slipcase, hence the low opening price.

It is a paper not cloth binding on this edition.
31 Mar, 2010
2010-3-31 8:44:48 PM UTC
I'd have guessed buckram. Shows what I know. But it's not paper; Hammond says 'bound in black cloth over boards'.
(Bibliography; p.51)
31 Mar, 2010
2010-3-31 10:29:51 PM UTC
I agree with Garm. I would call it buckram too. Buckram is sometimes referred to as 'buckram cloth.' It is, essentially, a cotton or linen cloth that can be treated with a substance (nitrocellulose) to fill in the gaps and stiffen it, giving it that '1976 Deluxe Hobbit' look. I believe that 'buckram' is still consistent with Hammond, as well, since it merely describes the specific type of cloth.

It is a little bit difficult, because the cover on the 1976 Hobbit really is not the typical cloth that you see on all the quarter-leather deluxe editions from 1991 through 2002. It has a much tougher and more durable feel, and is not really susceptible to the fraying and unravelling (like all of those 1990's deluxe editions). So, I can see why one might not want to simply call it cloth, but I think it is wrong to call it paper.

The Folio one is bound in paper, though .
1 Apr, 2010
2010-4-1 4:16:04 AM UTC
I was wrong it is buckram, so it is cloth which is obvious if you look at the book, which is very useful if you have a copy of this item.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us