Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Apr, 2010
2010-4-28 7:13:41 PM UTC
Thanks Trotter!
28 Apr, 2010
2010-4-28 9:18:56 PM UTC
Just had a word with Charles (Noad). I'd asked him what might be the connection between these posters and Archie Mercer's 'Middle Earthworm'. He toddled off to look them up in his files, then got back to me.

Seems there was a letter in M.Ew no. 8, March 1970, where a correspondent asks whether anyone else has seen these Hobbit posters from the USA. Gandalf, Shadowfax etc. Her dad had bought her the Gandalf one. Cost ten shillings (50p in today's money) which she thought was a lot.

Charles also pointed me to another UK newsletter; Belladonna's Broadsheet no.3, (June 1970, p.6), in which the founder of the Tolkien Society Vera Chapman (a.k.a. Belladonna Took) mentions having seen these posters at an almost legendary London retail outlet called 'Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed'. Bella wasn't sure she'd like to have Gollum staring at her all day. Gandalf, she felt, was a more benign presence, but the picture is let down by poor drawing skills. (paraphrase).

So, there we are - no real connection between these posters (prob. of American origin) and Archie Mercer's 'Middle Earthworm', beyond the fact that they're mentioned once or twice.

Seems to me we could just as easily refer to them as the 'Belladonna' posters.

29 Apr, 2010
2010-4-29 4:05:44 PM UTC
HOEMM IF YOU ARE LOOKING THEM :
Posters (Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit).
Tolkien, J.R.R.
Bookseller: Nigel Williams Rare Books, ABA, ILAB
(London, United Kingdom)

Bookseller Rating:

Quantity Available: 1
Book Description: 1969-70., 1969. Four posters depicting characters from The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit. The two (slightly smaller) Hobbit posters are of Bilbo (clutching the One Ring and brandishing Sting in the centre of a large spider's web) and Gollum (crouched beneath an archway of stone, gnawing on a fish). The two Lord Of The Rings posters feature Shadowfax rearing on the banks of a raging torrent, and Gandalf standing before the gates of Moria. Some very slight creasing to edges of "Gollum" poster, otherwise the set is bright, colourful and extremely attractive. All of our books are first edition (UK) unless described otherwise. Bookseller Inventory # 45637
Price: US$ 2347.46
29 Apr, 2010
2010-4-29 6:18:23 PM UTC
Thanks Garm! I will be fixing the page references and links to tidy up a bit later today I think.

And thanks as well Fangorn - for those interested, here is a link to Nigel Williams' internet presence:

http://www.nigelwilliams.com/booksearch

They use ILAB for their online catalog, and I have not figured out how to get a static link to a single catalog item at this time - you will have to use the search box on the link above to find the posters (they have a lot of Tolkien material right now, so it is well worth a browse if you have the time).
28 Apr, 2014
2014-4-28 5:10:16 PM UTC
Just stumbled over this thread.

I have the whole set of these posters. They have been gathering dust in their sealed containers for decades.

I bought them at a poster shop in Coventry back in the early 70s as a young teenager. The shop was 'Head in the clouds', I doubt it is still there!
28 Apr, 2014
2014-4-28 6:59:46 PM UTC
Lucky you! I bought the Gollum one some time in the 70's I think. Probably in the attic somewhere, but a bit too bold for my taste now I think...
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us