Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Jun, 2010
2010-6-27 2:47:45 AM UTC
Looking at the pictures, the label would appear to have been produced by the Magazine Publisher and not by anyone else.

This is undoubtedly correct. The fonts and decoration on the printed label match the magazine for 1938.

I expect that the publishers sold identical slipcases for all the different magazines they produced except for the labels affixed to them, which is why they don't seem to fit very well in the box.

The Horn Book was published at that time, as today, by The Horn Book, Inc., which as far as I know published no other magazine (though they did publish books). On the basis of the one example, they evidently offered annual slipcases; I find no mention of these, however, in any issue in 1938. It may be that they were separately advertised. I've also checked the printed Horn Book Index, but found no reference to slipcases.

Except for some breaking and splaying of the slipcase at the top, it seems to me that it fits the six (bimonthly) issues okay. The extra height at the top allows finger access for getting a magazine more easily out of the box.

Wayne
3 May, 2011
2011-5-3 3:32:25 PM UTC
Many Thanks Wayne (Very Belatedly, Apologies for my oversight in forgetting to reply originally). I just came across this topic again today.

Appreciate the information - and indeed it makes sense that the extra room at the top of the slipcase makes room for easy finger access to the magazines.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us