1 day 2 hours 37 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

English, A Literary Foundation Course [GA&U 1975, R.S. Fowler & A.J.B. Dick]
Just can't stay away
From Belgium
Group:
Shirefolk
Today I bought the book English, A Literary Foundation Course by R.S. Fowler and A.J.B. Dick. It was published by GA&U in 1975 and contains extracts of several books, among which an extract of Mount Doom (Lotr, Book VI, chapter III). Except for my copy, I can find just one copy of the hardback (like mine) and a handful of copies of the paperback version. Does anyone here own a copy of this book or has more information on this book? Did it originally have a dustjacket?

I have found out that one of the authors (RS Fowler) wrote an introduction for a 1974 'school edition' of The Hobbit.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 9:08

Edited by Khaml on 2013/4/24 13:17:03

Re: English, A Literary Foundation Course
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have a copy of this edition of TH: it's actually the fourth edition, Allen & Unwin; printed in 1972. Hammond and Anderson A3k,
ISBN 0 04 823105 3.

Tolkien's facsimile signature is on the title page; the same as on Tree and Leaf etc. Not only did Fowler write the introduction; there's also a whole section of Ideas for Study, on a chapter-by-chapter basis (pp.281-303), including a short piece by Rayner Unwin on the publishing of TH, with a facsimile of 10-year old Rayner's report on The Hobbit. (is this the first time the facsimile sig, and Rayner's report were printed?) Fowler notes that many of the suggestions in this section come from 'English 11/12', by himself and John Dick.

It's actually a very good edition; very well bound in a tough, hard-wearing material. The introduction and the Ideas for Study make this edition stand out.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 12:46

Edited by garm on 2010/5/10 13:04:26

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Did it originally have a dustjacket?

I don't know not having seen a copy of this book, but nearly all GA&U hardbacks of the time had dust jackets, especially if the book is cloth bound.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 12:58

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Further to my previous - in the note by Rayner Unwin on the publishing of TH, Rayner mentions the story of Tolkien making up the first line of the story while marking exam papers. I didn't hear of this story till I read it in Carpenter's biography in '77. Again; is this another first for this edition? Or am I forgetting something obvious?

Posted on: 2010/5/10 13:01

Just can't stay away
From Belgium
Group:
Shirefolk
The book is cloth bound so there will have been a dustjacket, as you say, Trotter. A pity that I can't seem to find a picture of it...
I wonder why the book is so scarce..
Also I can't find out much more about RS Fowler than the fact that he wrote a handful of English school books (also with AJB Dick) and had some interest in Tolkien.

The edition you mention, garm, seems to be quite scarce also, is it? I can also find just a handful of this edition. Has there been only one printing with Fowler's introduction perhaps?

Posted on: 2010/5/10 14:20

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]