remy
12 hours 35 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Silmarillion edition ["bound in red cloth"]
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I recently acquired what is supposedly a first american edition of The Silmarillion. It is significantly smaller than any other Sils I've seen and is bound in red cloth. It has all the points of a first american edition, Father Giles of Ham etc. I've never seen it listed anywhere and was just wondering if anyone else had any information on it.
thanks

Posted on: 2010/6/7 10:29

Edited by Khamul on 2010/6/10 14:07:00

Re: Silmarillion edition
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
So how else does it differ? Other than being bound in red cloth, does it have a dustjacket?; and if so, is this the same as the normal edition? (--except smaller) Copyright page: identical? No mention of this edition being something else? i.e. a Taiwan pirated edition or something. And is it definitely "cloth"?

I'm afraid I ain't no expert on US Silmarillions. I only have a few standard 1st printings on my shelves; & I don't have Hammond (the book that is!) to hand. More detail...

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/8 7:41

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yes, more details, please -- photo(s), if possible. Is there a date on the title-page? Is there a printing code (row of numbers) on the copyright page? Is there a fold-out map, or is the map printed on the endpapers? Presumably all as for the standard hardback, as you say it has all the points. Especially, how is it bound? My first thought was of the first American trade paperback, which is in red wrappers and somewhat smaller than the standard American hardback, but that has always had correct "Farmer Giles" in the list of works. Another thought is that the copy in question has been rebound and, in the process, cut down, perhaps a library rebinding. Are there any library marks? Or there could be a book club edition Christina and I have never seen.

Wayne

Posted on: 2010/6/8 18:42

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I posted some pictures of a red Silmarillion I acquired in a thread a while back. It's not cloth, & I'm sure when you said "cloth" you meant it; but here's the link to the images in any case.

SILM: Pirate Editions (Posted on: 2009/9/4 8:18)

The post also has some speculative remarks, by myself, in regards to Wayne's Bibliography; undoubtedly in error...

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/10 14:05

Re: Silmarillion edition ["bound in red cloth"]
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have a UK dummy book club edition of The Silmarillion, which is both smaller than my other copies and bound in red cloth.

- wellinghall

Posted on: 2010/6/11 1:09

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.