« 1 (2)

Re: Silmarillion edition ["bound in red cloth"]
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Andrew, are you talking about the dummy copy you just posted about? (--that I'd like in my collection!)

Dummy Silmarillion

I assume not, as it's not cloth: yes/no? It looks like the usual paper-covered boards.

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/11 11:49

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Um, yes, it does have paper covered boards. I don't know what I can have been thinking of when I said cloth. Whoops!

- wellinghall

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:52

Re: Silmarillion edition
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
khamul, thank you for the pictures - that is the same edition as I have, the only difference being that my copy does have a dj (a copy of the american edition). It is interesting to know that it is a "pirated" copy and you are correct - it is not cloth bound. Any idea of the value? I picked mine up for less than 10 pounds.
Red

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:34

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I don't think pirate editions are worth much, & although not rare (they must have produced quite a few you would think) --they are quite scarce i.e. if you wanted to go and buy a copy you might struggle to find one. Because of this a seller may charge annoyingly high for it, assuming it's of some worth.

I have two UK pirated copies with jackets & the jacket-less US copy I posted pictures of. For some reason I paid £25 for my first copy (copyright page had been excised), £15 for the second UK copy (go figure!), and £12 for the US copy. Not that I cared at the time, for I just wanted to have a look at a copy, but I overpaid by some margin for the first copy I think; the second price was more in line for a good UK pirated copy; & the second was probably too much for a copy without a jacket.

Judging by the fact that a 1970's pirated Hobbit, always a more popular title than The Silmarillion, went for £9.08 just the other day on eBay --I'd guess they're of novelty value only to most collectors. Put it this way --if you stuck a copy on eBay for Buy-It-Now £20, it would probably take a while to shift.

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/25 10:01

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.