(1) 2 »

eBay: "J.R.R. Tolkien 1st LORD OF THE RINGS EXCLUSIVELY BOUND!"
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I'm never that impressed by this sellers auctions, but this is a sensational claim.

J.R.R. Tolkien 1st LORD OF THE RINGS EXCLUSIVELY BOUND!

I don't have the 1968 pb; does this copyright page match the pb 1st printing? Basically can anyone, with a few more copies to check than myself, confirm what edition this is...

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/11 13:33

Re: eBay: "J.R.R. Tolkien 1st LORD OF THE RINGS EXCLUSIVELY BOUND!"
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yes, the copyright page matches the 1st printing; down to the 'Cover illustration by Pauline Baynes', which leads me to ask: if these few were specially bound at the printers, why isn't there something to say so, on this page or elsewhere?

I think someone somewhere along the line is not being entirely accurate.
it looks to me like just another re-bound 1st paperback.

BTW - the phrase is 'half-bound'; not 'three quarter bound'.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 14:50

Edited by garm on 2010/6/12 0:09:38

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I think they are referring to the letter which originally came with this book and they make some amazing claims on the back of it.

Open in new window

The letter states "black morocco and marbled boards as issued", except, as has already been pointed out, it is a privately rebound copy of the first UK paperback one volume edition and not as issued.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 22:36

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for pointing out the letter, Trotter. This was a late addition to the vendor's listing; I didn't see it yesterday.

If this was in 1969, I wonder why an ordinary paperback would have been re-bound? However, as I can see no date on the letter (more of a memo) I don't think we can take these exagerrated claims at face value. This one seems typical of this vendor -

"Any others of these that exist are being CHERISHED by Tolkien's closest family members!"

Must be nice to be CHERISHED (!)

Posted on: 2010/6/12 0:05

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I asked the seller to post images of the letter yesterday (or send me an image); clearly they've been pretty quick --& Trotter too!

I've also had a friendly email from [removed-BH] in regards to the seller's claims. I'll see what he says about the letter, which wasn't available to read yesterday when I emailed him. Anything pertinent will be posted here first.

It does just look like a rebound copy of the pb. Wayne might be able to comment on more recent 'special' bound copies of various editions. I'm pretty sure some 50th Aniversary editions of LotRs (standard or deluxe --I don't recall) were bound in full leather for a select few i.e. Wayne & Christina, Christopher, & perhaps various other folk involved in the publication. So there are 'special' editions out there; doubtful whether this is one though...

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/12 10:52

Edited by Khamul on 2010/6/13 9:21:45

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.