4 hours 16 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Number of books?
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
How many books by or about Tolkien do you have? Rough guess / wild stabs in the dark are fine! You can comment here, or go to my LJ http://wellinghall.livejournal.com/ or my FB http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=658173407

We have 526 (give or take 20, shall we say?)

- wellinghall

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:55

Re: Number of books?
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have to admit, I don't have a separate Tolkien book count; just a reasonably easily calculate-able, total book count --but that in itself is a big mix (obviously) of (mainly) Tolkien, H. P. Lovecraft, and "Books about Books". So, in summary, I don't know off-hand. In any case, nothing like the nonsense figures banded about by a few of your posters Wellinghall! --'6000' I think I read; crazies! Like most people I'd probably have many more books if economics allowed; & if I had a bigger home...

BH

Posted on: 2010/6/16 11:58

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
We too don't have a precise count of our books by and about Tolkien. But a rough estimate, counting bound journals as books and averaging a few shelves at random, would be 4,440 volumes. That's 120 three-foot shelves, with about 37 volumes per shelf. A photo of part of our basement Tolkien stacks accompanied our first blog post.

We also have, at the moment, 19 shelves of Tolkien-related magazines and copies from magazines, newspapers, etc.; 5 shelves of audio-visual recordings; 2 shelves of posters (in flat boxes); 1 shelf of puzzles and games; 13 shelves of reference and working papers; and Tolkien-inspired sweatshirts and tee shirts in boxes and drawers.

Then there are some duplicate Tolkien titles on the 10 shelves of our Pauline Baynes collection, and books partly about Tolkien among books on other Inklings (5 shelves), and miscellaneous mentions of Tolkien in books on children's literature, fantasy, etc. which are shelved in other areas.

We tend to say that we have some 15,000 books in our house, plus CDs, DVDs, LPs, and magazines, but we made that estimate a long time ago, and should probably say around 16,000 now.

Wayne & Christina

Posted on: 2010/6/16 20:16

Quite a regular
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
4,000+ books altogether but only about 500 Tolkien-related.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 13:34

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
I just counted, I have approximately 26 .... now how does that make me feel? I do have a book token to spend though :o)

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:18

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]