Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Cancelled - Wheelbarrows at Dawn: Memories of Hilary Tolkien

29 Jun, 2010 (edited)
2010-6-29 5:39:53 AM UTC

Update - This book has been cancelled

There is some information available about the book "Wheelbarrows at Dawn: Memories of Hilary Tolkien" by Angela Gardner and Neil Holford (Deagol).

The biography of Hilary Tolkien, brother to Ronald (JRR Tolkien). Sharing their formative years together and then heading into the trenches of The Great War, the book shows the correspondence between the Tolkien brothers and their wives during the war and since, with family photographs and letters. Though about Hilary, this books also sheds light on and brings new information to the world of JRR Tolkien - including the only known instance of a signed photograph by Ronald, and a recent discovery of an original JRRT drawing

The Standard Book is £30 (ISBN 09780955190049), cover shown below, and the Deluxe edition is limited to 250 copies at £75 (ISBN: 09780955190056) from ADC books.

10_4c29871eedf55.jpg 535X719 px
29 Jun, 2010
2010-6-29 7:08:48 AM UTC
We had a preview of Chapter 2 at the Tolkien Society seminar on Saturday

- wellinghall
9 Oct, 2010
2010-10-9 8:36:48 AM UTC
ADC books are selling copies of the Deluxe Edition on eBay and holding a launch event on Sunday 5th December in Moreton.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ame=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123
9 Oct, 2010
2010-10-9 9:46:27 AM UTC
The launch event may be moved to Saturday 4 December.

- wellinghall
9 Oct, 2010 (edited)
2010-10-9 4:48:07 PM UTC
Really?! Well, I hope someone makes up their mind fairly swiftly - I've already (tentatively) seen about booking up some accomodation!

8 Nov, 2010 (edited)
2010-11-8 4:59:53 PM UTC
I am sad to have to report that both the book and event have been canceled by ADC books.

Hi, I am sorry to have to advise that despite the tremendous work and dedication to this project by Angela Gardner, Neil Holford, the Publishers, designers, artists, and financial backing by ADC Publications Ltd I have no choice but to cancel the publication of the book for legal reasons. Despite many revisions and changes made at the insistence of The Tolkien Estate it appears that The Tolkien Estate will seek to take court action to prevent the release of this book regardless. Everyone involved in the publication has worked hard to meet the requests of The Tolkien Estate time and time again, however it would be misleading to release a Biography on Hilary Tolkien without proper reference to his close relationship with his brother. The launch event on Saturday 4th December has therefore been cancelled and a full refund will be made shortly to anyone has placed advanced orders. Best wishes Andrew Compton

My regrets to all who have been involved in this project, I know how much time and work went into the book.
8 Nov, 2010
2010-11-8 6:14:19 PM UTC
Oof! I didn't see that coming. I'm sorry to hear it.
8 Nov, 2010
2010-11-8 7:10:05 PM UTC
That is unfortunate; I was looking forward to this book. It does not surprise me, though. This is not the first time, nor will it be the last. Something similar happened to the Jonah book about Tolkien's translation. I completely respect the Tolkien Estate but it seems like they are at times a bit overprotective of Tolkien's writings.

Sorry for those who labored so long on this book project.
9 Nov, 2010
2010-11-9 4:04:44 AM UTC
The Tolkien Estate's purpose in life is, of course, to continue to monetize Tolkien's work to the maximum extent possible and squeeze every last penny from the buying public. Unfortunately, I think this means they have to try to protect an authorised "reality" (which may well be distinct from actual reality).

That said, I'm personally not quite sure what is terribly interesting about the brother of someone famous (but perhaps I would have discovered something unexpected if I had had the opportunity to read the book). In truth, whilst [JRR] Tolkien's literary output interests me, the man himself not so much. Likewise, I tend to feel that his brother would only be of interest in the context of his own work.

Still, I think it is a real shame for those who who have put in a lot of effort to create this book and for those whose tastes differ from my own and would have gained value from it. I think it is a pity that the official Tolkien establishment cares so little about the kinds of people who cherish it's output the most. A pity, but not a surprise.

Stu
9 Nov, 2010
2010-11-9 8:13:04 AM UTC
I don't agree on your vision of the Tolkien's Estate purpose - they are the legal body who manage mainly the copyright of Tolkien. Which was asked so by J.R.R. Tolkien in his will.

When writing anything that Tolkien wrote, when you wish to quote any letter he wrote, wish to reproduce any picture of him (that is not under copyright of Billet Potter or other photographers,...) or a drawing of him, you need to contact the Estate FIRST and work with them to get permissions to get things published. You cannot expect to write a book first and then think they will just say OK to it. You cannot go and take a car out of a garage, drive all around the planet and then come back to pay for it. There is a way of working they follow which I believe to be very natural and logic.

And by the way, the Tolkien Estate is not so bad if you look at other literary estates, who for example demand money every time you wish to reproduce a letter or picture... there are many literary estate who are MUCH more difficult to work with. In comparison talk with people who wanted to bring out a Tolkien related game and had to work with Tolkien Enterprises and see how they operate before you judge the Tolkien Estate - Tolkien Enterprises is a business and they think with a business mind. The Tolkien Estate is something completely different and really are not having a mind on money as Stu claims, in all talks I had with them not one single time they talked about money - that is a completely wrong way of portraying them!

It is truly a pity this book is not being published, the material would be of interest to anyone interested into Tolkien, but it is no surprise they act like this. Maybe there is still hope? The Tolkien Estate tends to play it very hard, but sometimes they end up giving an OK in the end. My experience is that if you stay positive and talk positive and show the passion you have to get something done they tend to start to listen to you... if you play it hard they will close the door completely. Logic so.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us