Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Super Deluxe values
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
No. 17 of the SD Sigurd with a buy it now of £299:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tolkien-signed- ... 5?pt=Fiction#ht_500wt_920

Out of interest, for those who agree with low numbers being more valuable (and I know some don't) how low does a number need to be? Number 17 of 500 seems to be quite good I would think?

Posted on: 2010/8/19 14:45

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
> Out of interest, for those who agree with low numbers being more valuable (and I know some don't) how low does a number need to be? Number 17 of 500 seems to be quite good I would think?

Personally, I don't think it makes much - if any - difference. Some of the prominent Tolkien book dealers would like to make the market think it does (and price lower numbered copies accordingly), but unless the lower numbered book is different (e.g. signed, vs unsigned), there is no logic to it costing more. The number is completely arbitrary.

I was fortunate to get two for the price of one (at the original price), so I only paid GBP 125 per copy. I think that is about what they are worth to me, and if I could get GBP250 for my lower numbered copy (19), I would be pretty happy as that would leave me with a single copy with no outlay. Realistically, though, I don't see them being "worth" much more than GBP 175 or so each, so I'll more than likely just hold onto them unless I have a pressing need for cash. I'm not as anti this book as some of the posters are (it grew on me), but the asking price and number of copies printed was always daft.

Stu

Posted on: 2010/8/20 3:16

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
"would like to make the market think"?? I guess it is the opposite way around. It is the market that makes me think that.

An example, I got the limited editions of the Folio Society available... all different limitations numbers will sell far less easy then matching limitation numbers. Is there any difference? No, but still I have seen it happen about 10 times before.

If I have a lower number limited edition it sells much, much better and demand is very high for the lower numbers, while the higher numbers always takes 'much' longer to sell.

No really, it is the market that dictates the value, not the other way around...

Posted on: 2010/8/20 3:23

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
So Beren - is 17 of 500 considered low enough to make it a bit more valuable than, say, number 435?

Posted on: 2010/8/20 4:23

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
As far as I am concerned it is a little more valuable...

I wonder why I have to log-in again and again every time I come to this board...

Posted on: 2010/8/20 4:47

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]