Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Aug, 2010
2010-8-23 12:43:11 PM UTC
Thanks again, Trotter *I was looking in entirely the wrong place - don't ask!*

Good to hear Shippey again - even while scraping away at an ice-cream pot, he's always good value. It's interesting to hear his views about the value of events such as these; and that whether he'll attend another of this type 'depends on where it's held' or words to that effect. Personally, I think anyone organising such an event would be better off looking into venues in Oxford or, if that's too expensive, around the 'real' Shire - ie Birmingham! Wales - West Wales, at that - has little or no connection with the Shire, and is also a bit remote for most folk in the UK. Handy if that's where one happens to live mind you; but that doesn't strike me as being a good reason for holding an event there.
31 Aug, 2010
2010-8-31 5:07:34 PM UTC
http://t-s-publicity.livejournal.com/5815.html

The day time events for this Oxonmoot include some stalwarts (the Quiz, slideshow, Merry & Pippin's Dance Workshop, beer, the ITF meeting) but also talks that in places are in 3 streams. Speakers include Dimitra Fimi, Charles Bressler, and Angie Gardner. Plus we have the film "Born of Hope" being shown with a Q&A session after. Note bookings close 3rd Sept! And gremlins mean that online bookings are down so email or post your form (PDF available on website)

I notice that the fan film "Born of Hope" is now going to be screened at Oxonmoot, but I found this on their website. I wonder what happened.

13 Sep, 2010
2010-9-13 1:11:57 AM UTC
Further on the Festival in the Shire, 'Saranna' has posted a long report on the scholarly side of it here on the Lord of the Rings Fanatics Plaza (post of 12 September).

Wayne
15 Sep, 2010
2010-9-15 8:03:55 PM UTC
Not sure whether anyone's mentioned part two of the geek's page -

http://geeksyndicate.wordpress.com/20 ... -in-the-shire-on-balance/
7 Jan, 2011
2011-1-7 5:21:13 AM UTC
Latest email from Mark Faith about the Festival

Dear Festival in the Shire and Festival Art and Books Fan, Firstly, Happy and prosperous New Year! We’ve been really busy and there’s not been much new news worthy of sending an email earlier. Per on posts on the Facebook, Festival in the Shire- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Festiva ... pired/149452046749?ref=ts The next Festival is on hold until 2012 due to the poor economic climate. Sadly we had to discontinue the Festival magazine for lack of interest. Despite excellent survey results of the first festival, most of our fans are too distracted with economic worry to be able to think about attending another Festival. We have decided to wait a year. Hopefully things will improve for all of us in 2011. Our book/ art business has been really slow which is bad as this is one of the main fund raisers for another Festival. We suffered a huge financial loss putting on the first festival and can only go forward if sales of art and books pick up soon (or unless someone will donate or invest in the next Festival?) It was our business in Tolkien art and book market that first inspired the idea of holding a big Tolkien fan event. Although we were licensed to do the event, we weren’t allow to tell anyone which might have help raise investors. The main funding for the next festival can only come from sales of art/books without investors and patrons. Why not visit www.festivalartandbooks.com <http://www.festivalartandbooks.com/> make a purchase and help support the Festival effort? More importantly, help support our Tolkien inspired fantasy artist! Unless a current mega star artist working on a movie, most of our artists are struggling financially in these times. (The expression- starving artist is not new!) Nearly all have to work real jobs and to continue producing fantasy art need to sell prints and originals to justify the time spent. Without patrons, art production stops! Its that simple! If you’d like to see more Tolkien or fantasy art, help keep our artist employed and support the future Festival at the same time. If you can afford an original, great, otherwise why not buy a print? We recently picked up a new artist Michael Fishel. Rare Tolkien books remain one of the safest and consistent investments. While values rise sporadically, rarely if ever have the fallen. With the new film coming out, prices are bound to rise. Consider expanding you collection of art and books. We will keep you posted of any new news. Our current inventory is always changing. Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional photos. Best wishes, Mark Faith Managing Director Festival in the Shire Festival Art and Books
7 Jan, 2011
2011-1-7 10:36:55 PM UTC
Thanks, Mark. Personally speaking, I didn't go to the 2010 Festival because I couldn't afford the £800 I'd have to find for two tickets plus four nights' accomodation.

As for 2012; the Tolkien Society is holding a special event of its own that year; 'The Ring Goes Ever On.' I shouldn't think many folk could aford two big events; but we'll see. Let's get 2011 out of the way first!

Happy New Year!

8 Jan, 2011 (edited)
2011-1-8 4:18:35 PM UTC

garm wrote:

As for 2012; the Tolkien Society is holding a special event of its own that year; 'The Ring Goes Ever On.' I shouldn't think many folk could afford two big events; but we'll see. Let's get 2011 out of the way first!

Happy New Year!

I agree, I don't think many Tolkien fans would be able to afford to attend both events in 2012 and garm did not mention location, it has to be more central, somewhere like Birmingham (which would allow you to use Festival in the Shire as the title without complaints), not Wales.

Happy New Year as well!

What do people think about Mark's claims on rare Tolkien items.

Rare Tolkien books remain one of the safest and consistent investments. While values rise sporadically, rarely if ever have they fallen. With the new film coming out, prices are bound to rise. Consider expanding your collection of art and books.

Do you agree?
9 Jan, 2011
2011-1-9 2:44:41 AM UTC
Trotter asked:
what do people think about Mark's claims on rare Tolkien items. " Rare Tolkien books remain one of the safest and consistent investments. While values rise sporadically, rarely if ever have they fallen. With the new film coming out, prices are bound to rise. Consider expanding your collection of art and books. " Do you agree?

To be honest, as soon as I read Mark's comment, I was irked. If he was selling a financial product, the "Prices are bound to rise" statement would actually be illegal (in Australia, anyway). In truth, the whole comment is garbage - In Australian terms, I can buy books today priced in Sterling for about half the price I could a couple of years ago, so you could say that values have effectively dropped by 50% (for me) just on the currency movement alone.

Pretty much any non-biased commentator believes that the trend is most likely to be for asset prices to (continue to) fall over the coming years. People will spend what little spare money they have on food, water and power (which are all going to increase in cost massively). Precious metals (real metal, not paper metal) are IMHO a far safer investment than books. I can find you a handful of people that want a super-deluxe, but I can find you a lot of people that want gold.

Like I always say, buy books because you like them, not because they are going to make you rich or protect your wealth.

Stu
9 Jan, 2011
2011-1-9 2:03:09 PM UTC
I agree with Stu - I'm not money-oriented to that degree. I buy books and art because I like them. They become a part of the collection, each with a place of its own. I don't plan on selling them; after I'm gone, the collection will be split up, and the books etc will go ack onto the market.
9 Jan, 2011
2011-1-9 2:25:38 PM UTC
Back onto the market? Accept those items (those real gems we spoke of...) that you're giving to me? You did say you'd be happy giving that Silmarillion, and that other item we do not speak about publically, to me... I'm sure that's what you said...

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us