Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Aug, 2010 (edited)
2010-8-21 12:46:53 PM UTC
garm, were you referring to the GTC Roadshow, (Mark Faith was very involved in this when it was first set up, but no updates on the roadshow for a long time), when you mentioned scheduled talks, link below which refers to The Hobbit, but they also paid the highest ever price for a 1st/1st signed Lord of the Rings.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/wordpress/archives/48

Were they displayed well at the Festival in the Shire 2010, I'd love to have seem them myself

I have seen some press reports that the main investor in the GTC Roadshow also invested with Bernard Madoff and had a few problems there but it would nice to get an update on these books and when we can see them next, after the Festival in the Shire 2010.
21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 2:23:53 PM UTC
Trotter; no, I meant the Wales festival. IIRC, Beren was scheduled to give a talk on signatures during the fan exposition.

As for the GTC roadshow - I'd heard that it's in trouble. Only dealers' talk, you understand. As far as I can tell, the collection will probably be hitting the auction rooms some time in the not too distant future.
21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 3:57:16 PM UTC
The first report I noticed of the Festival in the Shire was a tweet right after the event, not presently available for linking but it read something like: the larp (live action role playing) was good, pity about the rest. Since then, there have been the Geek Syndicate posts that Trotter cites (scroll down that page for comments), and the following:

Hermione's Hideout (two posts on this blog)

Wicked Woolens (nice merchandise)

Gallery Hill Art (includes photo of the Conference speakers)

There are also three video reports on YouTube, beginning here. There's a passing glimpse of Dimitra Fimi in the first video, and Rene van Rossenberg makes an appearance in the second. These are concerned with the Festival part of the event, not the scholarly Conference.

And Dimitra Fimi has posted photos from the Conference on her Facebook page.

Wayne
21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 3:58:24 PM UTC
The Roadshow will not take place indeed... this was Mark's original idea... but he now went over to do the Festival.

I was indeed asked to give a talk there, but because I have to prepare to move (next week) I did not make it to England at all. Did not know I was announced as speaker. Anyways,...

The person who bought the Lotr set mentioned above is still building his museum and none of his pieces will be auctioned of at all. Don't know why you think this...
21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 5:20:15 PM UTC
garm mentioned about Moreton

"Ted, and Jef Murray, were there throughout the weekend, which was a big treat for their fans. Peter Pracownik missed the Friday (attending a rock festival, I understand - Peter used to be in Hawkwind, y'know). Peter suffered a painful accident recently, and gamely attended on crutches. Get well soon, Peter. And the same good wishes to Ruth, who sadly couldn't be there at all this weekend - she'd hurt her back in a fall. I did mention to Jef and ted that they might need to watch out for themselves for a while - two out of four Tolkien artists coming a cropper within a two-week period? Ouch!"

Was it not because she was in Wales, she is in the picture on this website?

http://galleyhillart.blogspot.com/2010/08/festival-in-shire.html
21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 5:30:09 PM UTC
Thanks for those links, Wayne. Just read through them, and watched the youtube videos. Blimey... it looks pretty desperate. So much space in the venues, and so few attendees.

I see the question of publicity was raised (by the organisers) and prob. the weather did have an effect on the passing trade (though how much interest the general public may have in a Tolkien event is a moot point), but I guess the reason for what looks to be such a poor turn-out would have to be the ticket price(s). This is something they'll have to look at, if there's to be a follow-up next year.

I admit I have a bone to pick here - I'd have really liked to have gone to this event, and met up with Shippey and Flieger once more (and to have had the opportunity to meet Fimi, and Rodney Matthews!) But I reckon the cost of the main tickets - 260.00 each - plus accomodation would come to 800.00 (and that's for four nights in a B&B, not hotel prices). Then add fuel and food, and you're over the thousand pound mark. Just unsustainable, for a few days in Wales, no matter how good the speakers.

BTW - some time ago I asked what it is that made Macynlleth 'the heart of Tolkien country' and as yet haven't had an answer. Purely in a spirit of fun, I'd like to know; is this part of Wales now the heart of Tolkien country? and if so, how? And why?

ps - Beren - I've just checked and yes, you were down to give a talk on Tolkien signatures on the Sunday, between 11am and 2pm. rather a long stint. As for the collection of which we speak - well, I said it was only dealers' talk. If I'm wrong, I apologise; but we'll see.
21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 5:32:44 PM UTC
Trotter - sorry, your post came up as I was typing mine. Ruth Lacon, you say? Crikey! yes, that's our Ruth, looking as well as ever, over there in Wales with all the bigwigs, and Alex Lewis.

Aw! I'm glad she's feeling better.

21 Aug, 2010
2010-8-21 5:36:35 PM UTC
BTW - some time ago I asked what it is that made Macynlleth 'the heart of Tolkien country' and as yet haven't had an answer. Purely in a spirit of fun, I'd like to know; is this part of Wales the heart of Tolkien country? and if so, how? And why?

In the podcast that I mentioned Tom Shippey was asked this very question and he categorically denied that Tolkien thought Wales has anything to do with the Shire.
23 Aug, 2010
2010-8-23 9:26:12 AM UTC
Thanks for that, Trotter. Still haven't got to that point yet - I can't seem to get past someone's excruciating version of 'my old man's a dustman'. Awful!

Meanwhile, I have another link here, from our friends over at Middle earth Journeys.

http://middle-earth-journeys.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225

Just started - their reports of Oxonmoot are detailed, and entertaining; so I look forward to continuing my reading of their Welsh reports.
23 Aug, 2010
2010-8-23 10:27:32 AM UTC
I edited my original post, Tom starts at 52 minutes 35 seconds into the podcast.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us